VMware Edu & Cert Community
mnovey
Contributor
Contributor

VCP 5 Certification Preparation & Guidance

For the past two years I have been working with ESX 3.5. I have recently decided to start the evaluation process to upgrade our infrastructure to v5 as well as to pursue VCP 5 certification. I have signed up for VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.0] training directly through VMware. I am however concerned that although the course should offer significant information and exposure to V5, which will be very helpful as we move forward with system planning/upgrades, the course is not designed as a boot camp. As a result it I am concerned that it may not prepare me equally well for the test.

I realize VMware issues a test blueprint for each version and a mock test that may be taken online. The test blueprint is very extensive and I am trying to determine if there is a resource of some kind out there that either aggregates the information (answers) for the blueprint for test prep review or offers some other format that will prove equally helpful. My great fear is spending a large sum of money on the class and not being able to adequately pass the test. Although this is not the primary factor for sitting for the class, it remains something that is important for me personally. Since I am paying for this out of pocket I would like to ensure I am fully prepared to successfully pass the VCP5 certification test shortly after completing the class.

I welcome any suggestions that can be offered and insight into approaches other people have taken to pass VCP. Thanks so much for your assistance and guidance.

Mark

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

once vSphere5 goes GA, I would recommend getting a hold of all the documentation set you can.  Using that along with the blueprint and hands on experience will be quite valuable.  You can setup a lab for free with VMware Workstation and vSphere.  Both products offer a 60 day evaluation.

Hands on is the key... get as much lab time as you can.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

TO add to Troy's comment - yes vSphere 5 is a huge advancement from ESX 3.5 the underlying theory and methodology is still somewhat the same the same - the differnce are understanding the new features and functions which the course will cover aloong with the documentation

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

If you look around, you'll find braindumps for the VCP4 exam.  Some of the answers are definitely wrong (and that's okay) and they're certainly not complete (also okay) but they'll give you a good idea of what kinds of questions VMware likes to ask.  If you do study the questions, pay attention to WHY the answer is right or wrong - look it up and don't just study the answers or you won't learn anything.  The mock exam on VMware's site is also pretty close to the kinds of questions that or on the real exam (as you would expect). You can take this up to 100 times as long as you don't score 100% so intentionally get a question wrong every time through.  Some of the questions are repeated but you'll see a new question pop up every test or so.

I found several key items to look at:

1.  Read the new features guide very carefully.  Every topic mentioned there will be tested.  Whether that's true in the VCP5 exam or not I won't know until I take the exam.

2.  Read the product documentation.  Every single darn manual that's listed in the blueprint.  Everywhere it says "Note:", remember the note because it's a likely exam question.  When they say "Note", they mean it Smiley Happy.  Yeah, it's boring and will take a long time but you'll be a smarter person in the end.  Some people pass the exam by scoring exactly 300 or just barely over.  That one question you remembered the answer to because you read the manual may mean the difference between a pass and a fail.

I didn't find the VCP Exam Cram book very useful for the exam itself but found it good for background knowledge of material that the instructor didn't cover during the course.  Stuff like ESX details, which you don't need to worry about for VCP5 of course, but stuff we needed to know for the VCP4.

You'll need a lot of hands-on time.  The course only covers about 60% of the material you'll need to know for the exam unless it's changed drastically for vSphere 5.  After I took the course and worked with the product extensively for a few months, I still spent probably another 200 hours or so studying for the exam.  I don't know if it me or my wife that was more relieved when I passed it.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Ed Wilts wrote:

If you look around, you'll find braindumps for the VCP4 exam.  Some of the answers are definitely wrong (and that's okay) and they're certainly not complete (also okay) but they'll give you a good idea of what kinds of questions VMware likes to ask.

NOT good advise

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

See also at: http://virtual-infrastructure.it/certifications-on-virtualization/vcp/vcp5/

Is still a work in progress and actually it is based on the beta blueprint (because the official docs and blueprint are still not available yet).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Sri4VMware
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

vSphere 5 Documents are available now at http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-pubs.html

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
mnovey
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am really worried that if the course only covers 60% of the exam material and given that V5 is so new there may not be as many resources out there for additional review. I am a strong engineer but not an exceptional test taker. Would it be better to take v4 and then the crossover test to v5? I had hoped the course would cover far closer to 100% of the test material.

Mark

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The classes have never been meant to be the sole prep for the VCP exams going all the way back to the first VCP exam - it was meant as nase and then augment with VMware documentation and hands on experience.

Also there is not a 'crossover test' - if you are a VCP4 you will still take the stamdrd VCP 5 exam it is just that you will be able to do it without having to take the What's  New class until 2.29.2012 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
burropoco
Contributor
Contributor

Ed Wilts wrote:

If you look around, you'll find braindumps for the VCP4 exam.....

In the voice of Comic book guy.

"Worse advice ever!"

:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

burropoco wrote:

Ed Wilts wrote:

If you look around, you'll find braindumps for the VCP4 exam.....

In the voice of Comic book guy.

"Worse advice ever!"

:smileylaugh:

Used correctly, I don't think the braindumps are all THAT bad.  If you memorize the answers or use them as the main or only source of learning, you're not doing yourself or your employer any favors.  You may pass the exam, but you'll still be a moron.  I know somebody who studied this way, passed his exam, and then asked me for help to fix a problem that I think he should have been able to figure out.

If you look up the answer to every question and can prove that it's right or wrong, then you'll learn something extra along the way.   You may still fail, but you'll be smarter.   You still need to go through the blueprint, read the documentation, and practice, practice, practice.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Still, either way you look at it, TERRIBLE advise.  Please refrain from these types of suggestions and comments on the Forums.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can't personally ever condone the use of braindumps, they are a form of cheating, those who sell them are profiteering by essentially stealing content from the exam, and VMware are forced to update their exam items regularly to stay ahead of the game. The only winners are those companies that sell them, everyone else loses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Scott Vessey wrote:

I can't personally ever condone the use of braindumps, they are a form of cheating, those who sell them are profiteering by essentially stealing content from the exam, and VMware are forced to update their exam items regularly to stay ahead of the game. The only winners are those companies that sell them, everyone else loses.

I agree 100% but I know a few people that tried taking it strictly off dumps and failed miserably.  I commend you guys on staying on top of keeping the questions fresh and ultimately keeping this certification/title in high value.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos