VMware Edu & Cert Community
nava_thulasi39

VCP 4

Hi,

Incase of VCP4, how quick we need to go to the exam? Is it within Feb 2012.

Still didn't attend the official vmware course to get VCP certified..

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not aware of an End of Availibility date for the VCP-410 exam. Usually VMware announces such things on the VCP web site (http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=22519&ui=www_cert)

André

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

The VCP4 exam could be retired before the end of Feb, 2012 (but actually is not clear when)... this deadline is to upgrade from VCP4 to VCP5 without any other courses.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

I don't think the exam retirement is your biggest problem - you may see the required 4.0 courses go away first.

Since you haven't taken a class yet though, if it was me at this point I'd take a 5.0 class first and go straight for the VCP5.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Going straight to VCP5 can save you money also.

For VCP4, the exam fee in August 2011 was $175 and yesterday when I sign up for the test the fee had gone up to $225.

I have no choice but to take the VCP4 exam because I took the class for vSphere 4 othewise I would go for VCP5 directly.

Now I have to pay at least $225 just to catch up to the latest.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'll echo most of the other comments here, as you've yet to attend the required training course I would advise attending the vSphere 5: Install Configure Manage training to aim towards the VCP5 exam and certification. Training providers are switching rapidly across to vSphere 5 from vSphere 4 and the VCP5 exam is only 5 weeks old, so if you follow the VCP5 path you are under no time pressure at all.

Should you decide to go for VCP4, you will have to attend a vSphere 4 training course, and we don't yet know how much longer the VCP4 exam will remain available - my guess is that the "VCP4 > VCP5 with no training requirement" date of February 29th 2012 will also see the retirement of the VCP4 exam.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Coleman20111014
Contributor
Contributor

@anthonychow

If I remember correctly, VMware allowed poeple who had attended 3.5 training but not passed the VCP3 test to attend the "Whats New" and then sit for VCP4.  Good chance they will do that again.  Best bet is to check out the certification page so you know for sure.

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah but the "What's new" class needs $$$ Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The key thing to appreciate is that you have attended your vSphere course now, yes it was on version 4 so that means you'll have to become a VCP4 first (unless you do more training), but now you also host a very cost-effective way of gaining VCP5 as well before the end of February 2012. And going forward, I'm sure VCP5 holders will also have a similar opportunity to update to VCP6 in a couple of years time.. I can't see how VMware could allow you to update your certification without having to take the latest exam, at least they don't force everyone to attend more training for a 6-month period, so it could be a lot more costly...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Yes, You are right.

I couldn't find any training institute who provides 4.1 ICM. So thinking about vsphere Troubleshooting course.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
harddrive41
Contributor
Contributor

What if you have taken the VCP 410 exam and passed, but haven't taken the course yet?  Can you attend the 5 course and become 4 certified?  Then take the 5 exam prior to the deadline or would they need to take one of the 4 classes?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Only vSphere 4 courses count towards VCP4, so you'll need to take one of those asap. If you don't take a vSphere 4 course, passing the VCP4 exam will count for nothing and you will have to attend a vSphere 5 course and pass the VCP5 exam to gain any certification at all.

Scott.

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi Scott28tt,

Thanks. As I couldn't find any institute for Vsphere 4 (4.1) ICM course, I booked Vsphere Troubleshooting course in next month end.

So I will try to finish VCP 4 before Dec 2011.

0 Kudos