VMware Edu & Cert Community
kdmitchell27
Contributor
Contributor

VCP 4 exam still worth taking?

I attended the VCP 4 Fastrack at my company and I later took the exam. I failed it (barely) and I went back to studying and eventually my work took most of my time. I'm currently back into gettting my VCP however I had noticed that the VCP 5 exam is available, so my question is do I still continue on studying for the VCP 4 and wait on getting the VCP 5 or go straight to VCP 5 and prolong it?

I still need to rebuild my lab which died on me, so currently I don't have any ESXi servers to play with and I can't mess with the production servers at work for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Best route would be to retake the VCP4 exam, which I believe is available through the end of the year - when you pass this will make eleigible to take the VCP5 before 2/29/12 without any additional class requirements -

You could take the VCP5 exam but you will need to attend the What's New Class to be eligible fot the VCP5

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You have no choice but to take the VCP4 exam since you took the VCP4 class.

You can take the VCP5 exam without taking any training class on VCP5 before end of Feb 2012.

After that you will have to take the "What's new" class to take the VCP5 exam before you can be certified.

Good Luck and have a nice weekend.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I would go ahead and take the VCP 4.   You said you barely failed it the first time so with the additional studying it should be a breeze.

0 Kudos
RaymondG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes I agree with the rest.

If you dont want to be forced to take and pay for the VCP5 classes, you have to get the VCP4 cert.

Take the VCP4 exam, and then study and take the VCP5 exam.  The only other option is to take new class for vcp5 and then take the 5 exam.

Raymond Golden VCP3, VCP4, MCSA, A+, Net+, SEC+
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I believe there are still many vSphere 4.0 environment in use in amy environments. It will take some time before everyone migrates to vSphere 5.0.

There are some major differences between both the versions which will be good to know.

Anand

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The cheaper route is to take the VCP4 exam, then the VCP5 exam, but as others have said you will only have until 29th Feb 2012 to do that, so be quick. If you don't manage to pass both exams by that date you will have to attend the vSphere 5: What's New class to gain VCP5 regardless of whether you pass the VCP4 exam first or not.  From a knowledge perspective, and also to remove the pressure of a deadline, you could attend the What's New class anyway and just go for VCP5, deliberately skipping VCP4. If work leaves you with little time to prepare yourself for exams this might be the better option, the course is 2 days long and will help you prepare for the VCP5 exam too.  Cost is not the only factor here, the amount of self-study time and the February deadline for passing both exams (if that's the path you choose) should also be considered.  Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos