VMware Edu & Cert Community
pan1268
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCP 4 exam in Jan 2011

Hi ,

Would like to know if i can get the VCP 4 certification if i give the exam in Jan 2011. I have done a course in Install,Configure and Manage Vmware vSphere 4.0.

I am asking this question because i just came across this article :

http://www.hp.com/education/sections/vmware_vcp_cert_vcp_vsphere.pdf

which says that:

If you take and pass the VCP4 exam after January 1, 2011, VMware will only recognize attendance

in the following classes:



VMware vSphere 4.1: Install, Configure, Manage (HH633S)1



VMware vSphere Troubleshooting [V4] (HH642S)1

Please advice as I am going to register the exam in 1-2 days time.

Cheers

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i have not heard of the below, and find any info in the vmware education website. my best advise is to email the education directly. education_at_vmware.com

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I read it, however I can't believe it. I can't imagine VMware will not recognize the 4.0 courses anymore for those who attended it. You can even become VCP with the VI3 courses if you take the What's New 4 upgrade course.

However, to be sure you should mail to certification@vmware.com and ask them to be sure, since the official VCP certification web site http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www also lists 4.1 as a requirement.

Maybe forum member scott28tt reads this thread and has some information on this.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I do know of some plans that VMware have for VCP4 in Q1 2011, I can't say more as they've not been publicly announced yet, but I've heard nothing like what that HP document says. They also don't mention the instructor-led What's New course in relation to VCP4, I think they've just done a bad job of updating the document to reflect that the Install Configure Maanage 4.0 and Fast Track 4.0 courses are now retired - August 2010 and December 2010 respectively.

They also state that the Troubleshooting course "will meet the class attendance requirements for VCP Certification credentials for those having prior VMware administration experience and now wishing to achieve VMware Certified Professional (VCP status) on vSphere 4" - this is ambiguous as that course will actually qualify anyone for VCP4, but regardless of certification the course is only advised for those with VCP4-level skills and knowledge.

The official VCP page is here: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www

Best of luck for your exam 🙂

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jonhall
Expert
Expert

Hello all,

I took a look at the PDF from HP and there are some errors/omissions.  So to clarify:

1.  If you took vSphere Fast Track while it was being offered, the course is allowed for the certification.  The course is being phased out, so it wouldn't be a valid option to take now, since it is no longer offered.  But if you took it, and you take the exam this year, you are fine.

2.  If you are a VCP3, you can take the What's New course.  You do not need to take a full course.

I will be addressing these concerns with the appropriate folks at HP to get these errors corrected.

Hope this helps,

Jon C. Hall

Sr. Technical Certification Developer

jonh@vmware.com

Jon C. Hall Technical Certification Developer VMware, Inc.
0 Kudos
dsseagren
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware VCP website says that:

"The 4-day version of this course VMware vSphere: Install Configure, Manage [V4] taken before December 31, 2010 still meets requirements"

and

"VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V4]
(This course taken before December 31, 2010 still meets requirements.)"

0 Kudos
pan1268
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All,

Cleared my VCP, and got the VCP status at VMware site as i login  ......Thanks to everybody for replying especially to Scott and Jon. ...

Now, just waiting for my Workstation License , I believe will get in few days on the adderess i registered for the exam. Please correct me if i m wrong.

Now , next in my chart is  VCAP DCA ....i know is going to be easy ..... lots of lab practice , so i decided to buid a lab in my home with white box (although it is quite expensive).

Please advice if the configuration for the system i have choosen is good ( will run esxi and esx 4.1) :

Processor  Intel i7 - 950 (8 mb cache, 4 cores 3.06 GHz)

Motherboard : DX 50S0 ( littel doubtful with this model , however i checked on the vm-help already it is listed there but with the exception of external network card, but i m goin to have only one system ...so do i really need external network card)

Network controller  -  built in

HDD : 2 TB SATA

RAM : 16 GB DDR3

750 watts power supply with cabinet

and a UPS

Another question do i need special cabinet , keeping in mind the extra fans needed for CPU and motherboard.

Please advice if this not the right forum to post this question , i will post it in the VCAP section.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

0 Kudos