VMware Edu & Cert Community
DrFager
Contributor
Contributor

VCA4-DT Exam Prep

Does vmware offer an official study guide (book) for the VCA4-DT? If not, are there any books or materials you guys recommend?

Im having a tough time finding officials resources for this cert, that are NOT classroom instruction related.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ferdinand91
Contributor
Contributor

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

vom 22.10.2012 bis 24.10.2012 befinde ich mich auf einer Schulung, und habe daher nur eingeschränkten Zugriff auf meine Mails.

In dringenden Fällen bin ich telefonisch unter 0151-42511643 zu erreichen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Ferdinand Zilcher

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Ceck out = http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=19733&ui=www_cert - particularly the Exam Blueprint which covers the topics that are covered in the exam - This is the closest thing to a study guide VMware offers -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
DrFager
Contributor
Contributor

When trying to open the blueprint, it says i need a my learn account. Is the exam blueprint free?

This is the fist vendor cert ive seen that is so difficult to get official cert books. Kind of a bummer considering how interested I am in it. Is this because they are pushing class based training?

0 Kudos
DrFager
Contributor
Contributor

OK I got a my learn account and got the blueprint, which seems to refer to the View Administrator Guide for each of the topic. So, im assuming the "study" path is to build a lab enviornment and and following along configuring/troubleshooting with the Admin Guide?

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There isn't a lot for this exam out in the wild because it was never really emphasized by the community or VMware. It also seems to have been discontinued moving forward (View 5).

I'd suggest learning the GUI rather well to be successful with this exam. Some of my thoughts and the beginning of a study guide are here (I discontinued it after VMware removed this as a requirement to VCP-DT).

http://wahlnetwork.com/tag/vca-dt/

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

DrFager wrote:

Does vmware offer an official study guide (book) for the VCA4-DT? If not, are there any books or materials you guys recommend?

Im having a tough time finding officials resources for this cert, that are NOT classroom instruction related.

Thanks in advance

The View 4 administration guide pretty much covered it all (the blueprint should reflect this).

As previously stated, I would shoot for the VCP5-DT route, so much has changed since in terms of the technology and certification track itself.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
DrFager
Contributor
Contributor

The VCP5-DT consists of a required class and the VCP5-DT exam? (One exam?)

Is there a good simulator available for that or any other proffessional track?

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No. Currently the only exam that requires is the VCP-DV (the original VCP). VCP-DT requires an individual to have a VCP-DV first before attempting. There is no class requirement for the VCP-DT but there is a class recommendation (either the View ICM or View Fast Track). Best study practise: download the VCP-DT Blueprint (found here: http://bit.ly/Sto0pN  You will need to log in with your myLearn account) and go through that. Determine (BE VERY HONEST) what you really know, what you sort of know and what you do not know. Focus on the sort of and don't know to help beef up your understanding of those topics.

There is a mock exam that you can do to help guage how well you are doing (it's about 30-50 questions total in batches of 10 questions at a time).

0 Kudos
DrFager
Contributor
Contributor

Im completely confused.

In order to get the VCP-DT you have to have the VCP-DV? And the VCP-DV has a required class?

Thanks for the study tips. Everything falls into the DONT KNOW category. Thats why im here trying to broaden my skillset!

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VCP-DV is the Datacenter virtualization (the original VCP that you would take vSphere Install, Configure, Manage with). Before doing the VCP-DT we require that one since View is built on vSphere so an understanding of vSphere is a requirement for a minimally qualified candidate.

To help with knowledge for the VCP-DT the View 5.x: Install, Configure, Manage class is the best starting point.

0 Kudos
DrFager
Contributor
Contributor

So the VCP-DV is the entry point, and that requires the vSphere Install, Configure, Manage class?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you want to end up with VCP5-DT and you are starting from the beginning, here's the path:

1. Attend a vSphere class that qualifies for VCP5-DV, such as Install Configure Manage

2. Pass the VCP5-DV exam

3. Pass the VCP5-DT exam

There are other vSphere classes that you can take in step 1, Fast Track or Optimize & Scale. You could also take a View class inbetween steps 2 and 3 to help you prepare for the VCP5-DT exam, but you don't have to.

Have a look at these pages for the details:

VCP5-DV: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www

VCP5-DT: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=28343&ui=www_cert

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos