VMware Edu & Cert Community
rowell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

V4 Install, Config & manage completed - VCP4 or VCP5?

I all. We currently use ESX 3.5 in production but not heavily. I do not have a VCP certification. I have a V4 certification of completion for taking the class back in 2010. I was wondering if I should pursue the VCP 4 or take the vSphere 5: What's New then VCP 5 exam.

Most of my virtualization was done under Hyper-V.

Clarification: I do not hold a VCP4 certification. Just the class completion.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome the Forums!

I would take the VCP4 exam and then go from there.  The What's New will not meet the qualifications if you aren't already VCP4

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome the Forums!

I would take the VCP4 exam and then go from there.  The What's New will not meet the qualifications if you aren't already VCP4

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

And if you are have VCP4, you can just take the VCP5 exam before end of Feb 2012.

After that you will have to that the "What's new" class and the exam to get the VCP5 certificate.

Good luck and happy new year.

0 Kudos
rowell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Will the exam VCP4 exam end in February?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Unless you want to attend the vSphere 5: What's New course you will have to pass both the VCP4 and VCP5 exams before the end of February 2012.

It has not yet been announced when the VCP4 exam will retire.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
edrocks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like the vSphere V4 whats new class still makes an V3 Install/Configure completed class still eligible?  I am not a VCP.

No announcement of VCP 4 retiring yet?  Thats good

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Technically yes, but you won't find anyone running a vSphere 4: What's New course now so your best option to achieve any VCP certification is to look at a vSphere 5 course and pass the VCP5 exam.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'll echo the others and say take the VCP4 then jump right into 5 (hopefully before the cutoff date). From my personal experience the amount of material on the VCP510 exam that was vSphere5-specific was a small amount.  There was a thread not too long ago where the poor guy failed his VCP410 8 times and as soon as he was able to pass it he spun around and passed the VCP5 exam first try.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
edrocks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm noticing that too...  dang...  went from a $1500 whats new to a $3500 V5 course now.  Yikes!  

0 Kudos
rowell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the route I'm going to take. VCP4 exam then VCP5 hopefully if time permits.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Good Luck - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos