VMware Edu & Cert Community
dcm_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Updating VCP-DCV 2021 to 2023?

I think I've met the requirements for the VCP-DCV 2023 but haven't been issued the digital badge.

I passed the vSphere 7.x (2V0-21.20)  in October 2021 and I've just completed the "VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V8]" course.

According to the certification page for VCP-2023 that is all I need...  https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimVCI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you clarify you currently have a VCP-DCV 2021 as you list the 2V0-21.20 exam but not any other qualifying courses. 

If so, then unfortunately, you haven't met the requirements to renew your VCP. 

The option to renew by just attending a qualifying course is only available if you have the previous years VCP, so if you had a VCP-DCV 2022, then attending the ICM 8 course would have recertified you. As you have a VCP-DCV 2021, you will have to either take the 2V0-21.20 (retiring Jan 31, 2024) or the 2V0-21.23 exam.

Edit: typo

0 Kudos
dcm_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply.

I have the digital badge for VCP-DCV 2021 and met the requirements.  I didn't attend any courses in 2022 so didn't get the VCP-DCV 2022 badge and there was no point in doing the exam as it was the same 2V0-21.20 that I'd already passed previously for my VCP-DCV 2021.  

I'm not aware of a 2V0-21.21 exam, do you mean the 2V0-21.20?

According to this page... 
https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html

Certification Path if you hold VCP-DCV 2020 or Newer...

dcm_vm_0-1683190428967.png

I have gained experience and attended the recommended course, and also passed one of the required exams 2V0-21.20.  Do you have links to where I need to attend an additional course and the 2V0-21.21 exam?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TimVCI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2V0-21.21 was a typo, I have corrected it to 2V0-21.20.

I see where the confusion is coming from now.

You used your 2V0-21.20 exam pass to gain your VCP-DCV 2021 cert therefore it can't be used towards the VCP-DCV 2023 certification.

You will have to take the new 2V0-21.23 exam in order to rectify.

Scott or Sharelle will be along soon to verify.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you actually complete the VCP-DCV 2021? You say you passed the 2V0-21.20 exam, but did you ALSO complete authorised vSphere training?

If so, the path which applies to you on the page you linked to is "VCP-DCV 2020 or Newer", for which there is only 1 hard requirement which is passing an exam - you cannot attempt the 2V0-21.20 exam again, so would have to pass the new 2V0-21.23 exam on vSphere 8.x.

Updating your VCP by ONLY completing authorised training only applies to holders of VCP-DCV 2022.

Strangely, if you had NOT completed the VCP-DCV 2021 (as per my opening question) then the combination of passing the 2V0-21.20 exam and completing the authorised vSphere v8 course WOULD mean that you'd met the hard requirements of VCP-DCV 2023, since the path on the page you linked to which would apply is "no VCP certifications".

I hope that makes sense to you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
dcm_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I completed the VCP-DCV 2021 and it shows in my transcript and I was issued the digital badge.  I didn't need to sit a course for it as I held VCP 6.5 at the time

dcm_vm_0-1683196648922.png

Ok, thanks for your reply I understand what you're saying.  Because the exam I passed was used for my VCP-DCV 2021 and I can't sit that exam again, I need to sit the 2023 exam.

If I understand this correctly, if I'd attended a qualifying course in 2022 that would have upgraded me to VCP-DCV 2022, then another qualifying course in 2023 then I would have upgraded to VCP-DCV 2023.  Will keep this in mind for next year!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That all sounds correct to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos