VMware Edu & Cert Community
LeoPastor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Switch limit - Configuration Maximums missing information on switches?

I am interested in knowing the maximum number of switches you can have per host/vCenter.  I could not confirm all the numbers for vSphere 5.0.

I am still looking for maximum number of standard switches per host/vcenter, and maximum number of distributed switches per host.

When searching the Configuration Maximums documents I get only the information below.Tried to find this info in other documents, but was unsuccesful.

From Configuration Maximums for VMware vSphere 4.0 and vSphere 4.0 Update 1:

Standard switches per host                    248

Distributed switches per vCenter               16

From Configuration Maximums for VMware vSphere 4.1:

Distributed switches per vCenter               32

Distributed switches per Host                    16

From Configuration Maximums for VMware vSphere 5.0:

Distributed switches per vCenter               32

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

See http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r50/vsphere-50-configuration-maximums.pdf page 5

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I wouldn't worry too much about maximums for the VCP5 exam - you don't really get asked direct questions about them in the exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LeoPastor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andre, what I am looking for is not there.

As I said, Configuration Maximums for v5 has only the number of vDSs in a VC, but  thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
LeoPastor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scott, I posted my question because I read something related here in the VCP Cert Forum.

The thing is that I am looking for the info just for "fun" (seriously, for real world but not too urgent), not for the exam.

I will take your answer for my upcoming VCP5 exam, though. Thanks Scott!

Anyway, it seems like now that we are not required to memorize all that stuff that much, it became more interesting to know that!!!!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No problem, glad to help 🙂

I'd assume the the 32 distributed switches per vCenter would be the same per host, as the number per host is not explicitly stated.

I think the maximum port and port group maximums combined with the number of physical uplink ports is going to determine the maximum number of standard switches per host.

Remember too that maximums are just that - you don't really want to be hitting those numbers. Whilst on the subject of that thing called "the real world", I've yet to come across any deployment in the last 6 years where the maximum numbers of switches per host has been an issue 😉

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos