VMware Edu & Cert Community
egandolfi0611
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Studying for VCP 4 - Need Help

Hi all,

I am studying for the VCP 4 exam which I have scheduled for mid February. I have the v5.o update class under my belt but need to completee the VCP 4 exam before I take the 5 exam otherwise that class is worthless to me.

I am studing the Configuration Maximums. I made flash cards for every maximum in the document. As I was going through I was confused by something. Under the Virtual Machine Maximums it lists Virtual CPUs per VM as 8. Then Under ESX Host Maximums in the COMPUTE section it lists Virtual CPUs per VM as 1. Why is this? I just want to be sure I am clear. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Eddie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

egandolfi0611 wrote:

I did see that. So If a VM is FT enabled it can only have 1 vCPU??

correct

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Max vCPU is 8 (but only in Enterprise+).

About the 1 doubt, I think that it mean that just 1 vCPU is like a CPU (or socket)... in vSphere it can be also like a core.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The 1 vCPU maximum that's listed in the host compute refers to "Fault Tolerance" enabled VM's (see two lines above this setting).

André

egandolfi0611
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

egandolfi0611 wrote:

correct

0 Kudos
FM-DK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Taking VCP4 instead of VCP5 is worthless effort IMHO

I took VCP5 today and allmost all questions are in VCP4 stuff. You will pass without any problem even if you do not answer a single question in vSphere5 stuff.

So if you take VCP4 and then VCP5 you will feel, that you have taken the same test twice.

Regards

André

0 Kudos
egandolfi0611
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It maybe "worthless" to you. However for me I have a financial investment in the actual class. I have also taken the What's New in 5.0 class because I anticipated having my VCP 4 by that point but other factors played into a delay. So rather then spend $3000 to take the 5.0 Install class, spending $450 on two tests seems more reasonable....

0 Kudos
FM-DK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh - I see your point.

I did not think in money - only in the double work.

But you are right. It is a lot of money to save !

Good luck !

0 Kudos
egandolfi0611
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. And thank you for your posts. I'll need all the help I can get

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

And to add on my VCP5 exams about 40% of questions were about the new features in vSphere 5 - so you cannot assume you will breeze through on vSphere 4 knowledge - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
egandolfi0611
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks David. I never would. I am not looking to cheat the system. I just need to cram for the VCP 4 so I can get by it and be able to focus on VCP 5. Who knows when they will decide to end the VCP 4 exam then I'll be on the hook for a $3k class :smileyconfused: Thanks for your post!

Eddie

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would agree that there are typically a higher percentage of questions in the VCP5 exam that are specific to vShere 5, for me it was roughly 30%. I don't think most people would feel that VCP4 and VCP5 exams are the same at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am studing the Configuration Maximums. I made flash cards for every maximum in the document.

Those max/min days are over from what I've heard, even in the latest version of VCP4.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
egandolfi0611
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, that's what I did as well.

0 Kudos
Gabriel_Chapman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

this is true, and I think its a better test for having dumped that portion, though you still need to know the min/max in order to answer questions

Ex Gladio Equitas
0 Kudos
egandolfi0611
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I don't trust anything I hear as far as what has been removed in exams. I am not to keen on the fact that they ask questions like "What checkbok is next to this setting". That doesnt prove you know the product. But I am going to memorize the interface screens the best I can LOL

0 Kudos
AmrikRopar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is what I did when passed VCP 410 on 20th Jan

1) Watched trainsignal videos by David davis.

2) Attended vmware class

3) Prepared home lab and did all hands on.

4) several attempts to VCP mock exam, I had few questions from it.

5) Strictly followed blue print & other documentation(s) for vmware,

6) that's all

0 Kudos
Gabriel_Chapman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

its not that they are asking you to memorize screens, the questions will have a purpose to illustrate that you understand the function that is being discussed. as an example, if you don't know the different load balancing choices for dvSwitches, then you probably don't know much about virtual switching, or at least enough to understand the different choices and options.

Overall I thought the test was very fair, and a very good test of deciding if you really do know the basics of vSphere beyond just simple administration. It's VMware Certified Proffesional, not VMware Certified Administrator. There is a big difference between the two.

Perhaps they should offer an Administrator cert like Red Hat/Cisco do.

Ex Gladio Equitas
0 Kudos
FM-DK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Gabriel Chapman wrote:

..snip...  the questions will have a purpose to illustrate that you understand the function that is being discussed ...snip..

I do not agree.

I am not allowed to give an exact example - but one question in my test was approx. "what columns do you see on xxx screen". Choose 2 of 5. And the single one column that IMHO is interesting on that perticually screen was not mentioned.

There is no need for questions like that on a so called proffessional test !

Regards

André

0 Kudos
Ramkamboj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Amrik

I am new to Cloud computing & VMware vSphere. I am seeking career options into Cloud Computing.

Is their any pre-requisite to get in this domain like system administration experience in Windows/Linux etc.

Or people from other background like networking can start career in cloud computing?

Can I directly prepare for VCP5 certification?

Please advise me videos by David Davis & suggest me how to prepare home lab for practice.

Your support is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Ram

0 Kudos