VMware Edu & Cert Community
Daniel_Prokop
Contributor
Contributor

Spring Professional Edu-1202 @RestController and Clear explanation of the certification Path

Hello I'm attempting for third time to pass Spring Professional Edu-1202 as I'm preparing for it I've run into a little problem which looks like its hard to understand clearly as how "stereotype" word is perceived by Vmware team.

https://docs.spring.io/spring-framework/docs/current/javadoc-api/org/springframework/stereotype/pack...

In here(above) we can find Stereotype package in which we can't see declared @RestController annotation. But:

https://docs.spring.io/spring-boot/docs/current/reference/htmlsingle/?fbclid=IwAR06DLs6FlVsnUboRyPz_...

In this documentation we can find: 

"The first annotation on our MyApplication class is @RestController. This is known as a stereotype annotation. It provides hints for people reading the code and for Spring that the class plays a specific role. In this case, our class is a web @Controller, so Spring considers it when handling incoming web requests."

Question 1:

My last two attempts finished with score 290/300 is it a true score or everyone who haven't passed receives the same score?

Question 2:

Links to documentations provided in Study Guide for Spring Professional Edu-1202 exam are correct versions on which exam is based or are they just there as advice? To clarify 2.3.x means newest version from series 2.3? Provided Link sent me to 2.3.8, but there is documentation for 2.3.12.

Question 3:

As I understand certification path after passing Spring Professional Edu-1202 I will be rewarded VCP certification(which is Option 2)? Is that correct?

Question 4: 

How word "stereotype" is perceived by exam? As a annotation declared in Stereotype package or as traditional meaning of this word? in short words @RestController is stereotype?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A1: No, you can score as little as 100, your 290 score is calculated using some mathematical formula.

A2: Read the notes on references on page 7 of the exam guide: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/certification/vmware-vcp-am-dev-ex...

A3: You can check all the requirements of the certification on this page: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-am-dev.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Daniel_Prokop
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for general answer, what about meaning of word "stereotype"? Is there any chance that we can know how Vmware team do understand it? 

As I'm understanding those Paths then answer for question 3 is : Yes. But there is one thing that confused me a little because on Page 7 of the exam guide there is part of "certification requirements" with link to another exam so I'm guessing it's a mistake? or do I have to pass another exam as well? 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Look at the exams for “option 1” and “option 2” on the page I linked to: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-am-dev.html

You’ve passed the exam for “option 2” which looks like you will not also have a training requirement to meet. The “option 1” path is for the other exam plus there’s a training requirement for that path.

I have no idea what “stereotype” would mean in the context of your question.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
Daniel_Prokop
Contributor
Contributor

Let's say there is question on the exam:

"Which of them are stereotype annotations:

A/@Controller

B/Service

C/Cabbage

D/Configuration

E/RestController

F/Component

"

Correct answer would be annotations declared in stereotype package? or as "stereotype" word was used in documentation that I've linked in my first post which said quote: "This is known as a stereotype annotation. It provides hints for people reading the code and for Spring that the class plays a specific role. "

Following first rule answer would be A,B,F but following how it was used in documentation it would include D and E as correct answer. I know its very unlikely that this particular question would appear on the exam, but if it does I don't want to have(and probably nobody) such a dilemma and I don't see it as anything that could compromise Questions of the exam. Never mention that many books preparing for this exam do not treat @RestController as stereotype annotation, and to be honest there is loads of discussions about this subject but I have never seen any concrete answers

0 Kudos
Daniel_Prokop
Contributor
Contributor

But this actually reminded me my last exam, on which I'd question about Spring Boot Actuators(which were mentioned on my final result as section in which I've made mistake), I can't remember whole details of question but I've did choose one of the  answers which said: "To provide custom metrics we do need to provide Tags"

and I do have a feeling as this answer was treated as wrong answer but based on this documentation :

https://docs.spring.io/spring-boot/docs/2.3.8.RELEASE/reference/html/production-ready-features.html#...

Even if we provide tags by usage of Tags interface method empty() it still does provide empty Instance of Tags so in fact yes we do need to provide Tags for custom metrics. In which case I would appreciate if that was double checked. 

Edit: I think I understand it now as We don't need to provide "tags" but sometimes we have to provide Tags even as empty instance of Tags. Tricky, my Fault.

Thanks

Kind Regards 

Daniel Prokop 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don’t know what “stereotype” means in the context of Spring, so while I have been able to offer help regarding your other questions I know nothing about Spring itself.

Daniel_Prokop
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for provided help ! I honestly do mean it. 

To be honest nobody really knows everyone just assumes or at least I haven't seen it yet.

Documentation for Spring will call @Controller annotation stereotype while it will call @RestController annotation "stereotype" but in Italic Type(which might suggest its a different meaning?). As well in other part of same documentation it will call @RestController a composed annotation - which is definitely correct. Actually everything would make some sense if sentence which says that @RestController is "stereotype" annotation didn't exist.

But lets assume I do have a question as that one which I previously described and I will mark @RestController as stereotype annotation IMO even if it's wrong, based on provided documentations I've definitely a right to argue.

Maybe you could send someone from Vmware with Spring knowledge to this topic to answer it once and for all? I do understand that you doing it voluntarily and I do appreciate your help so far. 

Thanks !

Kind Regards

Daniel Prokop

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I’m not connected to anyone who would have been involved in the development of the exam.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Prokop
Contributor
Contributor

Anything that would say "Stereotype Annotations in Spring Framework:" and full list of them would be enough... To be honest following rule that stereotype annotation is an annotation that indicates class with this role - list is quiet big. in this case @WebMvcTest is stereotype as well? @DataJpaTest? @aspect? @ControllerAdvice?. Thanks for help I hoped I will finally receive a concrete answer but looks like it will stay as secret forever.

EDIT: I've found this:

https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/wiki/Spring-Annotation-Programming-Model

Hopefully it does answer this question.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Prokop
Contributor
Contributor

And Passed 350/300. Thanks for all help Scott ! But I strongly advice Spring team to add some concrete explanation of what "stereotype" could mean on the exam into Documentation. I've had kind of similar question and I would never mark correct answer without this topic.

Edit: So how long I've to wait for certification and where to check it? Because I haven't received a single e-mail from Vmware so far.Thanks. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well done.

Check here: https://certmetrics.com/vmware

0 Kudos
molorane
Contributor
Contributor

I got 290. So I wonder how worried I should be? Because the 290 doesn’t tell much about my results. At least if I could tell how many I got wrong or correct it would be better for me to know how to prepare for next attempt knowing how far was I from the passmark

Java developer
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@molorane 
Replied to your PM, not sure why you didn’t just create a thread to be honest.

0 Kudos