VMware Edu & Cert Community
ivan_zavialov
Contributor
Contributor

Spring Certified Professional - My true score

Hello!

I tried this exam twice and failed both times. Which strikes me as odd, since I've invested a decent amount of time & effort into preparation. I want to try the 3rd time, but quietly it's getting costly, and hence I've got a question: do I have a right to know my true score, not this ("290/300") that everybody who fails gets?

I think it would also be fair to send me an email after the exam with the exact percentage of my answers, because since 290/300 is some generic page, I also can't rely on other information on that page (there was a list of topics I supposedly had errors in, without any numbers). To me, 13 vs 20 wrong answers is not one and the same thing. May the correct answers not be listed there, but let it just contain those where I was wrong.

Otherwise, it's getting harder and harder to prepare without having a slightest idea, which topics were the most troublesome and require special attention. I'm going to do my best, but don't want to see the same "You failed with 290/300" again.

Is it possible to provide me with more information about my errors? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, you don't have a "right" to know any more detail - that's as much as you get.

You could email certification@vmware.com but I would be very surprised if they gave you a different response.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ivan_zavialov
Contributor
Contributor

That just doesn't make any sense, but ok, thanks for reply

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No idea what doesn't make sense - that's how VMware's scoring system has worked for more than 10 years now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
ivan_zavialov
Contributor
Contributor

What doesn't make sense is the idea that I can't even check the level of honesty of VmWare. I pay money, it isn't small, and I can't even know what my real score is, instead I'm getting a page which is similar for everyone who fails the exam, with a misleading and deceitful message about having "290 out of 300" points. How can I make sure you/your computers really checked my answers? Really counted something? 

I don't know how it worked for 10 years, I do know however, that my colleagues that passed the exam 2 years before, in fact USED to receive an email with at least a percentage of their answers (AOP - 100%, IoC - 90% etc). You forgot to send me such a report, or you just removed this "feature" at all, is not to my knowledge.

Now how can I prepare for the exam if I don't have a clue how many errors I had and in what topics?

Whoever considers this fair and normal, I hope one day I will grow to grasp such thinking.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

All I or anyone else can tell you about the scaled scoring system used (with a 300 score meaning a pass) is that if you got every question wrong you would score 100 and if you got every question right you would score 500.

I don’t work in the certification team, I never have. I’m an ex-instructor who just tries to help people.

Email certification@vmware.com as I mentioned previously if you want to pose all of those questions and make all of those points to the team.

0 Kudos
ivan_zavialov
Contributor
Contributor

This is fine, it wasn't meant to you personally. I'll write them to the given address. Thanks

0 Kudos
molorane
Contributor
Contributor

To be honest this 290 is not helping at all. Because you are not sure how much you got!! someone wrote the Java Cert they were told they failed with 60%. This score can tell how much of studying should be done before next attempt. 290 seems like a wizard of Os! It’s very silent. Not telling of how much of preparation one needs to make for next attempt. It seems majority of people failing get that 290? Which could be any mark it seems. For me, it would be better if they say you got this percentage, and they list topics you did not do well on. Then you know which area topics are lacking . The certification is just an aid to say whether you understand the framework or not. 

Java developer