VMware Edu & Cert Community
SachinDarekar
Contributor
Contributor

Shall i go for VCP-DCV authorised training...

I''m completely new to virtualisation environment, shall i go for the VCP5-DCV authorised training? I'm not having working experience on either vmware or other virtualisation products but I'm wondering to swith to this technolgy.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you want instructor-led training or to achieve VCP5-DCV certification, then yes.

But, before you do that I would suggest having a look at the link below:

Download VMware vSphere with Operations Management Evaluation - Free Managed Virtualization for 60 D...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

if you your end point is to achieve the VCP-DV certification then yes, you will need to attend authorized training, however if your intention is to learn enough to manage an environment,  trolling this forum, reading blogs and playing with the technology in your own lab environment will get you up to speed.

The link that Scott provided is an awesome and "Cheap" way of starting out in virtualization, I would highly recommend it as a starting point

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Attending the course is mandatory if you are planning to get the VCP-DCV certification. As a beginning you can watch the training videos VMware Learning  and sped some time on building the product. So when you attend the instructor training it will help you better and clear your doubts which you may have.

Products are available for evaluation so you build some lab based on workstation. Use this as a starting point for building lab

http://boerlowie.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/building-the-ultimate-vsphere-lab-part-1-the-story/

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
SachinDarekar
Contributor
Contributor

Dear All,

YES...I'm going for instructor led training only and going to attend training from authorised center only.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would not go into the training "cold" in terms of virtualisation exposure/experience, follow the links above in the previous replies from myself and others first, do the basics with Player/Workstation/vSphere before your training or you might find the training is very challenging.

Knowledge of these technologies will also help: server hardware, operating systems, server applications, networking, storage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Sundararajan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Setup a lap environment that helps to learn more.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos