VMware Edu & Cert Community
jsiakasiya
Contributor
Contributor

Re-certifying on the same version of exam

If one has, for example, VCP 5.5 certification or VCP6-NV and cert is up for renewal, can you sit the same exam? I know it is advisable to pursue and different track or upgrade to a higher cert that I may feel more confident to pass the same version I am familiar and comfortable with.

So in short, would a VCP 5.5 DCV certified individual sit the VCP 5.5 again just before the two years in up as long as the exam is not retired?

6 Replies
lilesj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You cannot take the same exam number (in your example the exam number VCP550) twice.

~~~ Follow me at www.twitter.com/JillLiles1
0 Kudos
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No, you cant take the exact same exam but you can take a delta or beta exam to get a renewal

Ex, if you are holding VCP6-DCV that is about to expire you can take VCP6-DCV (6.5) Beta Exam to renew

Recertify on the same exam would kill the purpouse with renewals

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I just replied to your comment on a different thread:

If you passed VCP510 to get your VCP5-DCV, you can recertify with VCP550D - have a look at path 4: https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www_cert

Otherwise, your options are here: Recertification Policy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's not recommended to recertify with a beta exam, because of the delay in getting results - if your recertification deadline passes after you took the exam, and before you got your beta exam result, you would be expired if you failed the beta.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
jsiakasiya
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for your prompt response. Apologies for posting in many places as i was try to get a response asap.

To scott28tt I'll clarify that the question relates to sitting the exact version of the exam if I had VCP550 and attempting to sit VCP550 again just to stay certified on the specific technology.

lilesj MattiasN81

Overall I kind of understand the responses here which I trust are authoritative answers and not just recommendations. It just curious that myLearn + Pearson Vue process allows me to book an exam I have passed before (1.9 yrs ago)- would this mean that, if I sat and passed, you would invalidate and expire my certifications anyway?

As it stands I sat the VCP6.5DCV beta ( Smiley Happy because it was cheap and not because I was confident) but I wont rely on it as results are out after expiry

0 Kudos
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good to know, Never knew there was a delay on beta exams, never taked one myself.

Thanks for the info

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct
0 Kudos