VMware Edu & Cert Community
HAdams123
Contributor
Contributor

Question About Starting Studies for the VCP5-DCV

Hello and Good Day VMware Community...

I am just starting the process of studying for the VCP5-DCV exam. I work for a company that has been using vpshere 4.X and 5.X over the past 4-5 years. My question is, is it a good idea to start the VCP for ESXi 5.0? Is version 6.0 right around the corner? If so, should I wait until that product is released? I am not sure if VMware typically honors the curriculum of the previous ESXi version as well as the current release?

Thanks for any advice\insight you can provide....

Harold

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, VMware doesn't comment on future releases. Although everyone expects new announcements at VMworld in August, nobody actually can tell you whether there will be another 5.x version or 6.x or something else. Anyway, in the past one needed to attend the required classroom training only once and there was always a period of time - after a new version/exam was released - in which you could take the exam for this new version without attending another training. Also remember that the certification/exam is usually released a few moth after a new version.

With that said, I think you won't do anything wrong with going for the VCP5 at this time.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you taken the required training for VCP5-DCV? If so, I'd suggest proceeding as normal and taking the current exam.

We won't know what gets announced at VMWorld til it's announced at VMWorld, it's up to you if you want to hold off til after then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with Scott's recommendation because when the next version of vSphere comes out and you are a VCP 5 and VMware follows what has been done in the past you will have a period of time where you will be able to take the next VCP exam with no class requirements

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Sundararajan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Welcome to community,

Proceed to take the current version and you can upgrade to new version once released without the class room training.

0 Kudos