VMware Edu & Cert Community
MFriedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Professional Develop VMware Spring 2V0-72.22 without training course

Hi,

I passed the exam 2V0-72.22 and received my badge without attending any training course. Im not sure if the badge is valid. At the end of last year I also passed the EDU-1202 Exam. Does the EDU-1202 belongs to "VCP-Spring 2020 or newer" such that the 2V0-72.22 Badge is valid even i didnt attended a training course? 

There is a 3rd path for the Professional Develop VMware Spring which states the following "Certification Path if you hold a VCP-Spring 2020 or Newer" as described here: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-am-dev.html.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It doesn't sound to me like you have the VCP given that you have only passed the 2V0-72.22 exam.

What do you mean by "badge"?

The answers are on the page you linked it, the current paths:

• Option 1 uses the 2V0-72.22 exam AND has a training requirement
  • Option 2 uses the EDU-1202 exam but does not have a training requirement
  • VCP-Spring 2022 uses the 2V0-72.22 exam OR has a 2022 training requirement

Option 2 will disappear from the end of June when the EDU-1202 exam retires.

I think you need to attend training, you could email certification@vmware.com and ask them to confirm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
MFriedrich
Contributor
Contributor

Well i also passed the EDU-1202 last year. I then got the badge "VMware Spring Professional 2021". Attending a training course has been optional last year.

With badges i mean the credly badges you get after passing an exam: https://info.credly.com/

@scott28tt So where is difference between the first and the third path that you just wrote? The way you described them they are identical. It doesn't really matter if you hold a vcp-2020+ or not. There are just some more accepted courses in the third path. There is a little error in your first path as the training course has to be 2022 as well according to the caption for the step 2 from the website.

So assuming that VMware Spring Professional 2021 from last year is a VCP it should match the expression for the 3rd path: "VCP-2020 or newer"? The 3rd path is little bit confusing when compared to the first path. The training is no longer "required" and just an "option" and not a "step" as in the first path. So where is the difference between the first and the third path? Are there any further documents provided for clarification?

The page has the following content:

1. no VCP certifications (Option 1)
    1. STEP 1 : (Recommended) Gain experience with Application Modernization, VMware Spring, Spring Boot, Spring Framework 
    2. STEP 2 : (Required) Attend ONE of the training courses in 2022 
    3. STEP 3 : (Required) Pass the qualifying exam  2V0-72.22
  2. no VCP certifications (Option 2)
    1. STEP 2 : (Required) Pass the qualifying exam
  3. VCP-Spring 2020 or Newer
    1.  STEP 1 : (Recommended) Gain experience with Application Modernization, VMware Spring, Spring Boot, Spring Framework 
    2. Option 1 - Attend ONE of the training courses in 2022 (NOT REQUIRED and OPTION instead of STEP!)
    3. Option 2 - Pass the qualifying exam (NOT REQUIRED and OPTION instead of STEP)

Thanks for the reply. Im going to write an email to certification@vmware.com.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I just noticed the difference with the VCP Spring 2020 or Newer path, you can either attend training OR pass the exam, whereas with no VCP certifications (Option 1) you have to attend training AND pass the exam.

I updated my previous post.

As I mentioned, it you want to be sure email certification@vmware.com - I'm not part of that team, I'm an ex-instructor who has been helping people with training/certification questions here since my training days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
KarlChilds
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks Scott for all the replies!

I agree, it's a little confusing, as we've been migrating the Pivotal legacy exam and credential over to the formal VMware certification program. Here's the net-net:

- no training required if you take the legacy Pivotal exam, which is the older version (EDU-1202)

- training is required if you take the newer exam (2V0-72.22)

The change had to do with the old program requirements vs the newer VCP standard requirements. So, if you'd like to take advantage of the non-required training, there is the option of passing the older exam up through June, but be aware it is an older version so may not reflect the latest product updates and changes.

0 Kudos