VMware Edu & Cert Community
Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pre-Req courses before registering to Troubleshooting workshop course, to get VCP5-DCV certification (confusion)

Dear All,

I am planning to attend VCP5-DCV exam and while going through vmware site I found in order to attend this certification, one has to complete one of the pre-req training courses to get certificate. One of the pre-req course given on the site is 'Trouble Shooting Workshop', when I checked the details for this course, it says below pre-req.

Required prerequisites include completion of one of the following:

•  VMware® Certified Professional 5 – Datacenter Virtualization (VCP5-DCV)

•  VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.1]

•  VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.1]

•  Equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server

Experience with working at the command prompt is highly recommended

I need to know if I am not VCP5-DCV and also did not attend the Fast Track OR Optimize and scale, I can not register for this trouble shooting workshop course? I must first complete Fast Track OR optimize and scale only then I would be eligible to register myself in above course 'Troubleshooting workshop' ?

Please clarify.

Kind Regards,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Technically anyone can book themselves onto the Troubleshooting Workshop, but the advanced topics/content are only really suitable for those who meet those pre-requisites listed - those who do not know how to do what's in the Fast Track and Optimize & Scale classes would struggle with the Troubleshooting Workshop.

You don't HAVE to be a VCP5-DCV either, but if you are then you will be at an equivalent level to someone who's done the FT/O&S classes - that's why the certification is listed as an alternative prerequisite, along with "equivalent knowledge and experience".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Technically anyone can book themselves onto the Troubleshooting Workshop, but the advanced topics/content are only really suitable for those who meet those pre-requisites listed - those who do not know how to do what's in the Fast Track and Optimize & Scale classes would struggle with the Troubleshooting Workshop.

You don't HAVE to be a VCP5-DCV either, but if you are then you will be at an equivalent level to someone who's done the FT/O&S classes - that's why the certification is listed as an alternative prerequisite, along with "equivalent knowledge and experience".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I should also add that if you need training on the topics that are covered in the exam for VCP5-DCV then you should book yourself onto Fast Track rather than Troubleshooting Workshop, as the content of Fast Track is the closest aligned to the objectives in the exam.

Wajeeh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks for the detailed clarification for Troubleshooting Workshop, BUT to enroll for certification VCP5-DCV I must complete the pre-req course e.g. fast track and obtain the certificate , corrcet?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Correct.

Have a look through the exam blueprint, you can find the link on this page: (VCP5-DCV) VCP-Datacenter Virtualization

My suggestion:

1. If you need the training to help you with the exam, do this: Fast Track > exam

OR

2. If you think you could already pass the exam and only need the training to meet the certification requirement, do this: Troubleshooting Workshop > exam

(VMware allow Troubleshooting Workshop to meet the certification requirement for experienced administrators who've never been officially trained)

0 Kudos