VMware Edu & Cert Community
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Passed vcp4 today.

Just came back from the test center and I am able to pass the vcp4 exam.

So as far as vcp5 exam is concern, do I qualify for the Feb 29 deadline or I will have to wait for VMware to "declare" me as ceritified.

Even I only have one week, I wanted to give it a try.  Able to save the fee for the "What's new" class is good motivation for me to study really hard for the VCP5 test.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

If you want a chance you should contact the testing centre and confirm asap.  I know my local testing centre is booked out because everyone has left it to the last week. Smiley Wink

Good job passing the exam. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Congratulation..

As ou already know your VCP4 results you should be eligible for VCP5 upgrade. To make sure drop a mail to certification@vmware.com

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you can get booked in before the end of the month, it's simple - go for it!

Anyone can book and take the VCP5 exam, even if they do not meet any pre-requisite training or past-VCP requirement.

There's some great VCP5 resources on my blog that should help: http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com

Oh, and congratulations on your VCP4!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

But Scott, if I am not elegible for the upgrade, I would take longer time to study and not rush into the vcp510 test in a week.

Is there a date associated to the vcp certification?  Will the date be the day that I finished all the necessary requirement or the day VMware check all my requirement and "declare" me as a vcp.  If it is later that I will not be elegible for the no class upgrade.

thank,

anthony.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are sure you've met the training requirement for VCP4, now you've also passed the VCP410 exam you are effectively a VCP4 even though it might not yet have been confirmed by VMware. If you don't pass the VCP510 exam before the end of February you will also be required to attend a vSphere 5 course such as What's New to qualify for VCP5 - passing the VCP510 exam on it's own from March 1st onwards without attending any vSphere 5 training would not make you a VCP5, of course I don't know what your training plans might be for the future.

Don't forget there is inevitably a large overlap between the VCP4 objectives and VCP5 objectives, so the work you have done to prepare yourself for the VCP410 exam will have been preparing you for the VCP510 exam in any case. See for yourself by reviewing the VCP5 exam blueprint.

Your VCP4 date will be the date you completed all the requirements, so when you passed the VCP410 exam.

Ultimately it's your choice, but you asked for advice and that's what I'd advise.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No Scott, don't get me wrong.  Thanks so much for your advice.  And I can also see consistently you have given valuable advice to others in this forum.

Being in the IT business for so long, this is my nature to be sure in all things before going ahead.  You know upgrade plan, failover procedure, to the exact action or even person.

I just want to make sure I am eligible or not.

If I am eligible I will by all means take the vcp 5 exam by Feb 29.  Bottom line is $$$$.

anthony.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Take the VCP510 exam before the end of the month. It sounds to me as though you are eligible, email certification@vmware.com if you want official confirmation if you wish, but that in itself will take time.

Assuming you are eligible you will have gained VCP4 and VCP5, minimized the amount of additional effort required to prepare yourself for the VCP510 exam, and saved yourself money by not having to take a vSphere 5 training course.

You will not get the official VCP4 confirmation until March now, which means if you wait you will have no choice but to attend vSphere 5: What's New.

0 Kudos
theauwolf
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in this same situation.  Took the I.C.M. 4.0 Class in April 09, slacked off a while, and then Passed the VCP4 exam on Feb 10th.  I sit for my VCP5 exam on the 29th.  My study material consists of Upgraded 4.X lab to 5, bought the Mastering vSphere 5 (IMO the best thing out there), and studied the vSphere 5 docs.  Whether or not I pass, its worth the shot at $225 rather then paying $1500 + time off from work for the 2 day class. Just my opinion.

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First of all Congratulation for pass the VCP4.!!

As you know you have passed VCP4 exam , so you are eligible for that VCP5 exam no doubts about that.

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah, I pass the vcp 5 exam also today.  Just in time for the deadline.

Well, as of today I still have not heard anything from VMware about my VCP 4.

I guess a lots of people is doing the last minute VCP5 upgrade exam.

0 Kudos
theauwolf
Contributor
Contributor

Passed VCP4 on the 10th and VCP5 on the 28th.  Haven't heard about VCP4 yet. I shot an email over to the certification email address, but haven't heard back as of yet.

0 Kudos