VMware Edu & Cert Community
bbnp200679
Contributor
Contributor

Passed my VCP510 exam yesterday - tough but fair

Sat in VCP510 yesterday at Global Knowledge at Central London. Good exam, tough but fair. Did a lot preparation using home lab and blueprint and lots of information from many bloggers out there. Thanks to everyone who has given valuable advice and giving out helping hand. I wrote down my VCP 5 experience hoping to help anyone who is about the write the exam.

http://virtualizeEverywhere.blogspot.com

Looking forward to VCAP 5 becoming available in the coming months! 

PZ

VCP5/4/3/2, CCNA, MCSE
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scofer
Contributor
Contributor

I will be out of the office at a client site with limited access to email during the day but will respond in the evening, sorry for any inconvenience.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Socrates82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congrats dude !! you earn it

I'm going to my exam in March-10, i have my own home lab with worktation 8 , and i am trying as much as i can as you have recommended. my lab is full with two esxi and vCenter and VDR, vMA, Power CLI, shared Windows target SCSI, windows and Fedora VM's inside the esxi. my labtop is smoking but it is working, till now at least :smileygrin:

PLUS I have printed out all the guides for vSphere 5, overview - installation- upgrade, managment , network, storage, security, HA, Resource, troubleshooting, scenariosetc.. , and around 5 guides for CLI,,

total of 20 guide, around 2000 pages, am reading from them and look every thing i read in the lab,

Do you think that this will be enough? i did not look at any other books that you have mention in your blog, - i wish to do but after the exam - , i ma using only the guides? do you recommend ;me to keep going with this?

do you have further recommendation for me?

What about the CLI commands?? am really weak at this point?? is there a lot of question about it?? i can complete the normal guides but am afraid i can go through all the CLI guides due to time issue

Thanks in advance

Ra'ed Hussein,

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Congratulations and welcome to the Community

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
bbnp200679
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the comments and I think you have enough material for the VCP study. Regarding your concern about your CLI commands skills, I would concentrate on knowing the different ways of using command line to manage your environment, things like when using ESXi shell and Remote SSH login directly to your ESXi 5 host, what type of commands are available; when you you windows based RCLI what commands you have available to you. What I mean is not to remember all the commands available, but to know things like when can you use esxcli comman? when can you use esxcfg-* type of command, vicfg-* command? etc. get familiar with the differences between vSphere 4 and vSphere 5 in terms of the CLIs.

As I mentioned in the blog, make sure you click through anything you can when you are on the vSphere client, checking all possible options and read the descriptions, warnings, alerts given by the vsphere client as that's great information on things you can and can NOT do. Whenever you read something on those PDF files about limitations, constraints etc, try it out in your lab if you have the setup, i.e. try create a snapshot of a virtual machine and do a storage VMotion, see if it works, do a snaphot of a VM on NFS, create a vApp with couple of VMs in there and change configurations and play with it to see how it really works. There are so many "cool" things you can try it out and it will stay with you longer than simply reading the PDF files and trying to remember things. Connect to the DCUI of the ESXi host and look through all the options available to you and make changes, see if the VM traffic is affected if you reset the management agents, look at all the logs available to you.

This is a great opportunity for you to get a really good grib of vSphere 5 and remember getting a VCP is only the start Smiley Happy Good luck and hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other question and will be more than happy to help. Looking forward to the good news! Smiley Happy

Peter.

VCP5/4/3/2, CCNA, MCSE
0 Kudos