VMware Edu & Cert Community
Grim192
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Passed my VCP5-DCV, next step up ?

Passed my VCP5-DCV, how big a jump is the VCAP compared to the VCP ?

8 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It depends on if you want to go for VCAP-DCA(Administration) or VCAP-DCD(Design). Administration would be a little tougher compared to VCP as you will be tested on all the advanced level skills like commands usage and other things. Design is a very bigger jump as you will be dealing with designing a vSphere environment. Both of them need a lot of dedication and also hands on experience with the technology.

You will have to decide on what path you need to take and then start with it.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Congrats on the pass. I'm in the same position and am looking at VCAP-DCA.  I'm planning on it taking about 6 months as i'm hoping the content will be updated to include 5.5 by then.

The current blue print is at the below link so you can compare the differences with VCP - i'm looking forward to a lab based exam rather then multiple choice Smiley Happy

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=30483&ui=www_cert&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd...

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
0 Kudos
Grim192
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm already signed up to the VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale course for next month, I was just trying to work out a realistic time frame to jump from VCP to VCAP.

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think it will depend on many factors - current skill set, experience, access to lab, time available to study.

Maybe someone that has already done it can give an estimated timescale based on some assumtions.

For me i'm planing on about 6 Months as i have other commitments and cant devote as much time to studing as i'd like to.

Looking through the blue print every section is laced with Powercli/VMA so I think that is probably one of the big diferentiators from the VCP.

My plan is to gradually replace tasks I currently do with the client with the command line, even if it isnt quicker, so it becomes second-nature...

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have a look through the exam blueprints for the VCAPs to see what you're going to need to know how to do - that will help you work out how long you need given that you know your skills and the gaps better than anyone else.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congratulations..

Take care!

0 Kudos
m_stansberry
Contributor
Contributor

Congrats on passing. I am asking all of the same questions so these answers are pretty helpful. Please share any insights that you come up with.

0 Kudos
Grim192
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I attend my optimize and scale course next week, really looking forward to it :smileygrin:

Once completed I shall be hitting the job market for a new job, I need to increase the complexity of my exposure to vSphere.

0 Kudos