VMware Edu & Cert Community
ATRouse
Contributor
Contributor

Passed VCP today!

As I have found this forum and community in general to be a great use while studying and troubleshooting, I wanted to contribute as best as I could with my first meaningful post. 

Today I took and passed the VCP, a great first time pass and not by much.  I got a little full of myself after taking the advanced troubleshooting class, and registered for the exam.  With the blueprint and official VCP book from Pearson VUE, I set out this morning just a bit nervous.  Quite honestly, the book and practice exams made me confident, but were nowhere near the material on the test.  I was hammered repeatedly with VMFS 3 upgrade questions, and ESX 3.5 upgrade questions.  If I hadn't been paying attention to my instructor 3 years ago in my ESX4.0 class, I surely would not have passed.

Moral of the story:  stay confident, not cocky.  Master 5.0, but use your labs to practice your mixed environment scenarios and multiple storage protocol scenarios.  Don't get stuck on practice tests...

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community and Congratulations

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Congrats!!

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
Sundararajan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congrats..

0 Kudos
ATRouse
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone!!!

0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Congratulations !!

Take care!

0 Kudos
vMCollard
Contributor
Contributor

Do you happen to recall some of the questions relating to VMFS3 and ESX3.5?  I'm taking my test tomorrow and I don't believe I've covered ESX3.5 in ICM, vSphere Troubleshooting classes nor the official VCP5 Certification guide.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Congratulations!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
ATRouse
Contributor
Contributor

I think the best thing for you to do is put 3.5 or 4.0 ESX in a lab, and upgrade it and see what types of issues you encounter.  Who knows, you might not have any questions about it.  I just wanted to make sure people didn't get too narrow in scope when you study, as I had no anticipation of questions regarding file systems I haven't dealt with in years, that's all. 

0 Kudos
erandall
Contributor
Contributor

Congrats!!!  I passed on the 18th.  :smileygrin:  What a great feeling of accomplishment!

0 Kudos
ATRouse
Contributor
Contributor

I certainly agree!  Smiles for days!  I've gotten hungry though, and now I feel like I should start studying for others and make it a long and rigorous 12 months...

0 Kudos