VMware Edu & Cert Community
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Passed VCP on second attempt...some thoughts

I passed with a 322 which is not great at all, but I feel is fair based on how well I felt about the material.  I have an undergraduate and graduate level degree so I am no stranger to test taking, but there is a difference in feel to this cert test.  It is almost like they try to cram 15 questions into one question.

One of the biggest helps was from a fellow forum user "Scott" who helped me change my approach to the questions by trying to narrow down what the test question is actually testing you on.  I was guilty of tunnel vision on a few key words which clouded my logic and distracted me from being able to focus in on what is really be tested.

The blueprint and the official Study Guide that I had were good for exposing you to the foundation topics, and probably account for maybe 30% of the questions.  So knowing the material here is a 100% must, but it is by no means close to enough to prepare you for the other 70% of the questions.  The blueprint also correctly provides the topics that will be covered but these topics are so broad expect to know them in detail.

I would say the other 70% questions are the ones that ruin everyone.  My guess is there are two reasons for not answering these questions.

One is the test taker does not know the topic well enough to exclude all the incorrect answers.  The second reason is that there is material in the question that test taker simply has never even dealt with because they did not either experience it in a lab, real world or even the documentation.

There are some lower level API pathing questions and cli level answer possibilities that were new to me.  You also better be comfortable with resources and shares.  By comfortable look at share values and calculate their weights on the fly and know how their setting could impact every other possible aspect of vmware from starting VM's to DRS.

The vmware practice exam included here was very indicative of the sample test questions, while several of the tests I tried on all but one third party sites were garbage.  Use good sample test to get familiar with how the questions work, but don't just sit recycling test questions thinking that this is educating you on the material.  Seriously don't do this.

I don't see how it is possible for anyone to know the details of all the material that is covered so I think there is also a bit of luck in the bank of questions that you get.

For those of you still struggling I would say that the test is obviously doable since I passed, but you have to get in the correct mindset and find the magic combination of material to memorize.

Good luck everyone.

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Congratulations! Glad my technique/logic was useful for you 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
tascott1991
Contributor
Contributor

Congrats! I saw you commented on my thread about struggling with the exam so your advice there really helps. Hopefully going to retake mine at the end of this month, just enough time to get some more revision in.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Congratulations on your pass.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
ludiegu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi maleitch, since you stated that you've just passed the exam (congratulations!) at the second attempt, can I ask you how did you prepared last time? I've finished yesterday the course with all the official slides and stuff, but I feel that the topics were not covered fully at all, to be honest, I think they lacked a lot of details.

Did you use some book (Lowe's one, for example) plus blueprints?

Thanks and sorry for hijacking.

--

Diego

0 Kudos
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The coursework pretty much gets you to a point where you can simply understand the information if you don't already have a background.  You are 100% correct in that it is not enough to prepare you for the exam.

There is an amazing amount of possible information to cover.  To me it is more than any one CCNA or MS cert.  I also can't give you a check list of study material and say if you know this material you will pass which is what I think everyone is looking for.

Yes I have Lowe's book which is great supplemental material, but it is not definitely not written as a certification study exam.  I also referenced the official VMWare certification guide which was helpful to an extent.

Make sure to have all the topics in the blueprint covered so start there.  Like I mentioned in original post there are a few straight forward questions, but the majority of the questions are where you have to take the blueprint knowledge and use it to determine which answers to exclude and some are very tricky.  Also take a second to re-read the question and see if you can answer, "what exactly is this question attempting to

I know this is not much of a help, but honestly there is no easy answer to preparing for this exam.  If you are at a point where you can regurgitate all the details of the topics covered in the blueprint then there is a decent chance that you can pass the exam, but honestly I believe some of it is luck in getting a bank of questions that reference the topics you are most comfortable with.

So blueprint material backwards, and forwards at a minimum.