VMware Edu & Cert Community
nalbada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Passed VCP exam today, now what?

I took the VCP exam today and passed with a 300 even. What happens next? Do I wait for VMware to match up my training to my exam? Is there any action required on my part?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
27 Replies
bdorlus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just passed today, and on to the next one (VCP5).  We'll see how long it takes for myTranscript to get updated.

0 Kudos
nalbada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Don't use dumps. The exam is really from the different VMware guides. Studying those and setting up a lab is the way to pass. I like test prep style question and answer study and bought the Test King package, but then read on these forums that it is considered a dump, so I stopped using it. For me one of the keys to studying was making sure I understood all of the terminology and concepts used in the vSphere world. You don't ever want to get a test question that uses feature words you don't know. I was also weak on storage technology, so I spent some time studying iSCSI and even set up an OpenFiler NAS server for my ESX lab to use as a datastore. That helped a lot. You don't have to be a senior datacenter engineer to pass the VCP, but you should be comfortable with all the common tech in a datacenter. Books are helpful for study, but nothing beats a hands on lab. I don't have the air conditioning for a server rack, so most of my lab was virtualized using VMware workstation to create ESX hosts in with a separate physical server for my vCenter instance.

I do some programming so I will likely write my own testing/flashcard type software and just fill with material from the guides for the VCP 5. And of course the home lab will get updated. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nalbada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Congratulations bdorlus! Let us know when your transcript is updated.

0 Kudos
nalbada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Scott. Your blog looks like command central for the VCP 5. I am very pleased to see that the course won't be required if we pass the exam before February. 

0 Kudos
rajubhr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks,  i have already taken the training for VMware vSphere Troubleshooting V4.x Training on 21st Jan 2011. whether i am eligible to take this VCP certification. untill how many days this is valied. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You do qualify for VCP4 certification then, the VCP4 exam will be available for many many months yet, well into 2012 I'd expect. The incentive though is to get VCP4 done in the next few months as you can then also do the VCP5 exam before the end of February 2012 and get the VCP5 certification too, with no more mandatory training.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nalbada
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My transcript updated a couple of days ago, and I completed the myTasks items. After doing that a new item appeared in the Certifications tab for the VCP 4. I guess the kit will come in the mail sometime in the next few weeks. 

0 Kudos
bdorlus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

myTranscript just got updated. (~13 days)

0 Kudos