VMware Edu & Cert Community
detailer310
Contributor
Contributor

New to VMware certifications and need help to start?

Hello,

I have hands-on experience on ESXi but didn't appear in VM exams before. I have looked into vmware certifications but confused where to start?

I was looking n searching around the web and found VMware Certified Professional 5 - Data Center Virtualization (VCP5-DCV) is the certification everyone talking about. And to get some other certifications they requires this certification passed. For example VMware Certified Professional – Cloud (VCP-Cloud) requires VCP5-DCV passed.

Is VCP5-DCV latest certification and when it will be retired? So what do you suggest how should i get start with vmware certification?

And what is the vmware Retake policy? Is there free retake or we have to pay the same fee on every retake? (in case failed).

I know here are many vm professionals and hopefully I can get clear guideline so I can take step to move forward for vm certifications.

Looking forward for answers.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes the VCP5-DCV is the base certification - pretty much everything else builds off of this oncluding VCP-CLoud. VCP5 will be around for while. I say this because you are still able to get VCP4. With that said I would pursue VCP5-DCV.

VMwares retake policy requires paying another testing fee to Pearson/Vue.

Also be aware as part of the certificiation process is attending a qualifying class from VMware or a VMware AUthorized Training Center. This link provides what is entailed in obtaing your VCP - http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www_cert

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
detailer310
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Retake means we have to pay same fee ($175 for VCP5) again for retake?

And what does it mean "Attend a qualifying VMware authorized course" ?

Where to attend this course? do we also have to pay them for attending this course as well?

I'm already Microsoft certified where you get handson experience register for exam, appear in it and get certified. Isn't the same way in VMware? I have handson experience with vSphere 5.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Since the beginning VMware has a had a requirement for candidates to complete an authorized course. This has been a thorn to those wanting the Cert because the class is not cheap. VMware has done this to help reduce the probability of 'paper' VCPs.because the course is rather intensive and does provide limited hands on experience. Having been a Certified Instructor I can tell you  many times I  have had students like yourself with a lot of hands-on experience who complained they needed to sit in the class to obtain their VCP but all of them left saying they learned something so I do not think it will be a waste of your time -

Yes if you fail you will have to pay the $175 over again.

These are the classes tha qualify:

VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.1]

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1]

VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.1]

VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.1]
(This course is only recommended for candidates who have significant experience with VMware vSphere 5.x technology and a high level of comfort with the exam objectives.)

vSphere with Operations Management: Fast Track

You can search for authorized classes here http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrreg/index.cfm?ui=www_edu&redirect=off

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

Note that now each "silo" has an "entry" exam at the VCP level.  If you get the VCP5-DCV certification first there is a 90-minute/85 question exam for cloud (VCP-IaaS) or EUC/Desktop/WorkForce Mobility (VMware View Exam).

If you don't have your VCP5-DCV exam you can just take either the VCP-Desktop exam or the VCP-Cloud exam (plus attend one of the classes required for the exam you select) to be certified.

Once you have one VCP-level certification you don't need to take another class.  However, when the cert is updated to the next level there is normally a grace period (I think 6 months) after which you need to take a 2-day "What's New" class before you can take the updated exam to upgrade your cert.

Note also the exams are $225 in the US.

0 Kudos