VMware Edu & Cert Community
UrbanFox
Contributor
Contributor

New to VMWare

Hi,

I am fairly new to VMWare.  I have used a Workstation version in the past (I played about with it and had it running Linux).  I also work for a company with multiple VMWare ESX boxes (3.5 and 5.x).

Up to now I havent had too much exposure to it as I have been on another project, but this should soon be changing.

I have used the VCS and I am familiar with the DRS and V-Motion concept.

I am wanting to set up a home lab so that I can get more up to speed with it, in preparation for attending a VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1] course with an authorised provider and then eventually sit the exam once I feel confident that I meet the requirements of the blue print.

I am not expecting this to be an over night thing! 

What I guess I am looking for is pointers on where to get going.  I know that I need to get a suitable computer at home for a Lab (my current PC pre-dates the Intel i Series CPU's!) and I am aware that I need something that supports HT, VT-x and 4 cores, as well as 16gb RAM, large hard disk and if possible an SSD.

I would then install Windows 7 64 bit onto the PC, and then use VMWare Workstation to install an ESX set up.  Does this sound correct?

I have access through my work to CBT Nuggets as well, which I know arent enough, but should at least aid my learning.  I believe I may also have access to a test rig at my place of work as well.

So, I guess the place to start is a home lab set up?  Should someone with the small exposure that I have had be even considering this course?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You are in right track to set up the home lab. Check out this blog Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab – Part 1: The Story | Boerlowie's Blog

Also vmware has some online free training videos which you can watch while building up the lab and studying  VMware Learning

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Several people has shared their lab.

Basically there isn't a big difference between using a nested lab inside Workstation or ESXi.

Usually if you have a fixed system, ESXi could be reasonable. If you use a laptop or a PC where you also have to work, Workstation is the only way.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You started out in a better position that I did.  I had no experience or exposure but understood the concepts.  I used the URL that aravinds3107 provided to setup my lab.  Here are a few things that might help you as you setup on your home system that I found using Boerlowie's great lab guide.

1.  Part 2 the Hardware: I would go with a minimum of 120 GB SSD and if you can afford it go with 200 GB.  I have 16 GIG of memory and I should have gone with 32.  Go with what you can afford and 16 is the minimum in my opinion.  If your system is greenfield, I install the operating system on my HDD which I place as C: and use SSD as E.  Once the OS is installed, I turn off auto OS updates, create a shared folder and down load all of the images that I need for VCP lab and place on HDD.  I then use EaseUS Todo backup to backup the base HDD and SSD.

2.  Part 3 Workstation 8 - I used 9 and you will be able to get through this easily.  Somethings are default in 9 but you will see that as you work through it.

3.  Part 4 Base Template - Go with workstation 8.  If you do not have a lot of disk space go with standard windows 8 r2 install.  I use bridged so I can register windows.  However, I do not update windows....I want to keep the image as small as possible.  For .NET Framewok use only the sub category.  Stay away from potential IIAS issues.  After you disable IE ESC I then also disable security.  No need in a lab and run into ping and/or dns issues.  I also download and install Firefox and Chrome so it is part of the base image.  You will not be able to shrink VMware Tools as it shows in the guide.  Instead, open a command prompt and C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmwaretoolboxcmd disk shrink c:\.  Once that is completed. Shutdown windows and right click the template > manage > clean up disks.  This will help reduce the template size.  Once that is complete, relaunch the vm. 

4.  Part 6 Domain Controller: I use bridge to start with to register windows then I change to the vmnet I am using.  Remember to turn off security for domain once it is a domain. 

5.  Part 7 SQL Server: I do not install it.  I use vCenter simple install and use the SQL database it creates.  So I skip Part 7.

6.  Part 8 vCenter:  Since I did not install SQL, I ignore those steps.  I use the simple install which installs everything you need for vCenter.

7.  My lab is built and ready.  I use EaseUS backup to backup my SSD.  This way, I can do a restore and be back to baseline lab more quickly than rebuilding fro scratch.

8.  Part 10-12  If you have not done these before or are not comfortable, you can install them.  But once you start going through your lab and training/learning, get rid of them so you can build them based on what you are learning.

9.  Use Configuring VMware Workstation 8 Networking for Nested VM’s | Virtualized Geek for your network.  It works great.  If you want your VMs inside of ESXi to have internet access, use NAT there instead.

I hope this helps and good luck!!!

0 Kudos