VMware Edu & Cert Community
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New Desktop Cerification - how does the Beta work?

Hi there,

I am interested in taking the new VCA Desktop beta exam that has just been announced this week.  I have previouslt sat other vmware exams but not a beta exam.  How does the beta exam work?  I noticed in the blueprint there is no passmark set.  Do I have to sit the exam and then wait for results to be collated?

If I pass the beta exam will this then be upgraded to the full certification once the exam is out of beta?  The exam is currently only £50 instead of £110.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The way the BETA exams generally work is you will be given more questions than the final exam, this is to get feedback on the various questions VMware had in mind. This can span the depth of a given topic to difficult of a given question and you will be able to provide feedback on each question, at least that's how it has been in the BETA exams for the VCP, VCAP4-DCA and VCAP4-DCD all of which I've taken part in the BETA program.

As you have noticed, there is no passmark set because it is currently unknown yet, that will be determined by VMware after the BETA exam in which they'll finalized a score and select the questions they feel best fit the content based on the feedback. Receiving your scores can take up to 2+months if not more as it has been for most of the BETA exams. If you pass the BETA exam, you pass the actual exam, it's just in the BETA you get the breadth of all questions where as the final exam, you will see a subset of those questions. The other added benefit is not only the feedback you provide VMware but also a nice discount off the regular price and hopefully you are not mandated to take any required course which can run up to $3,000 USD

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The way the BETA exams generally work is you will be given more questions than the final exam, this is to get feedback on the various questions VMware had in mind. This can span the depth of a given topic to difficult of a given question and you will be able to provide feedback on each question, at least that's how it has been in the BETA exams for the VCP, VCAP4-DCA and VCAP4-DCD all of which I've taken part in the BETA program.

As you have noticed, there is no passmark set because it is currently unknown yet, that will be determined by VMware after the BETA exam in which they'll finalized a score and select the questions they feel best fit the content based on the feedback. Receiving your scores can take up to 2+months if not more as it has been for most of the BETA exams. If you pass the BETA exam, you pass the actual exam, it's just in the BETA you get the breadth of all questions where as the final exam, you will see a subset of those questions. The other added benefit is not only the feedback you provide VMware but also a nice discount off the regular price and hopefully you are not mandated to take any required course which can run up to $3,000 USD

Good Luck

0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice.  I think I will give it a shot.  Worth a try

0 Kudos
foxy1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just had a look on the pearson vue site and the test centres near to me have hardly any availability.  Some have dates in the next week and nothing after that.  I am thinking about booking it for some time in March.

Is this feasible?  Should I just keep checking the PV site to see if they add any availability?

0 Kudos