VMware Edu & Cert Community
rsmclane
Contributor
Contributor

Networking questions

Hello,

I'm studying for the VCP 4 (hope to knock it out and hit the VCP 5 quickly) and I've been using the VCP4 Exam Cram book for some review.  I've run across a couple of networking questions that I think it has wrong but I can't find Errata for the book.  I haven't taken the exam yet and am working from the book quizes, not a practice exam so hopefully this doesn't qualify as "asking about exam questions".

First question:  How many different connection types does a virtual switch have?  The book says 3, but I remember in my VI3:ICM class, the instructor saying 4.  I guess the crux of the confusion is whether the uplink/vmnic counts as a connection type but which is the correct answer for testing purposes?

Second question:  True or false; Virtual switches can forward packets to multiple ports.  The book says False, but both multi-cast and enabling Promiscuous Mode would have the Virtual switch forwarding packets to multiple ports correct?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

rsmclane wrote:

Hello,

First question:  How many different connection types does a virtual switch have? 

May be the book is referring to Virtual Switch Tagging (VST) External Switch Tagging (EST) and Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT)?

I would like to know also.

0 Kudos
rsmclane
Contributor
Contributor

May be the book is referring to Virtual Switch Tagging (VST) External Switch Tagging (EST) and Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT)?

I would like to know also.

Well the 3 he lists are VMkernel, Service Console, and virtual machine.

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I see.

In 4.1 there is no Service Console so there is only VMkernel and Virtual Machine.

Page 10 (Figure 5) of this document: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

has a picture of all 3 "connection" types

I think for VCP 4 exam if there is difference between 4.0 and 4.1, it will not be in the exam because the exam is for 4.X.

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

rsmclane wrote:

Hello,

I'm studying for the VCP 4 (hope to knock it out and hit the VCP 5 quickly) and I've been using the VCP4 Exam Cram book for some review.  I've run across a couple of networking questions that I think it has wrong but I can't find Errata for the book.  I haven't taken the exam yet and am working from the book quizes, not a practice exam so hopefully this doesn't qualify as "asking about exam questions".

First question:  How many different connection types does a virtual switch have?  The book says 3, but I remember in my VI3:ICM class, the instructor saying 4.  I guess the crux of the confusion is whether the uplink/vmnic counts as a connection type but which is the correct answer for testing purposes?

Second question:  True or false; Virtual switches can forward packets to multiple ports.  The book says False, but both multi-cast and enabling Promiscuous Mode would have the Virtual switch forwarding packets to multiple ports correct?

I believe Promiscuous Mode is a function of the NIC card (either virtual or physical).

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how a vSwitch handles multicast packets.

Bill_griffith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Connection types are Service Console, VMkernel and Virtual Machine. 4.1 was the last version available, as ESX, with a service console.

Bill Griffith

0 Kudos
Bill_griffith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For your second question, the vswitch will forward to only one port by default. You have to change settings to do more than one port.

Bill Griffith

AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

bill_griffith wrote:

For your second question, the vswitch will forward to only one port by default. You have to change settings to do more than one port.

Bill Griffith

What is the setting that can change this default behavior?

Thanks for the information.

anthony.

0 Kudos
rsmclane
Contributor
Contributor

bill_griffith wrote:

Connection types are Service Console, VMkernel and Virtual Machine. 4.1 was the last version available, as ESX, with a service console.

Bill Griffith

Yes I knew about those 3.  Like I said, I wasn't sure whether the uplink/vmnic counts as another type.

0 Kudos
rsmclane
Contributor
Contributor

atc wrote:

bill_griffith wrote:

Bill Griffith

What is the setting that can change this default behavior?

Thanks for the information.

anthony.

Bill, I've come to the conclusion that that question in the book was just wrong.  I'm not very satisfied with the book overall and don't recommend it.

Anthony, enabling the Promiscuous Mode on the port group allows packets for other ports to also be forwarded to this one.

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

rsmclane wrote:

Anthony, enabling the Promiscuous Mode on the port group allows packets for other ports to also be forwarded to this one.

thanks.

0 Kudos