VMware Edu & Cert Community
vSerg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need advise with a home lab

What's your opinion with this vSphere home lab: 2 PowerEdge T110 II servers (Xeon 1230 v2 w/3 nics) from Dell with 16 or 32GB RAM from Newegg or Amazon (Dell RAM is to $$), managed gigabit switch(Cisco SG300), cheap intel i3 box with 3 or 4 drives running openfiler or Freenas for storage and a UPS, am I missing something? I don't want to build a white box and don't want a RAID controller (for now). Thanks for your advise. (I am studying for my VCP)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

if the purpose for this is studying, I wouldn't even spend much money on server hardware, but try to get a decent PC (e.g. I7 CPU, 16+GB RAM, HDD and SSD) and build a virtual lab with which you will have a much better flexibility in what you setup. Take a look at e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab to see whether this could be an option for you.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

if the purpose for this is studying, I wouldn't even spend much money on server hardware, but try to get a decent PC (e.g. I7 CPU, 16+GB RAM, HDD and SSD) and build a virtual lab with which you will have a much better flexibility in what you setup. Take a look at e.g. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab to see whether this could be an option for you.

André

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi,

As it's already mentioned by a.p., if it's just for vcp study then you planned to spend lot of money for the home Lab. Smiley Happy

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
vSerg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks André, I need to replace my 4 year old laptop and I will buy me a decent machine (i7 w/16GB RAM)with all the money I'm going to save with your help.

Serg

0 Kudos
vSerg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you nava_thulasi39.

0 Kudos