VMware Edu & Cert Community
ckh1001
Contributor
Contributor

Need advice on VCP-510 Exam

Here is where I am at in my exam prep right now...

I have read 2 vSphere 5 books(Scott Lowes book and the Official VCP5 Certification Guide)

I have built a lab with a Windows/SQL Express based vCenter Server, 2 ESXi 5 hosts, and a FreeNAS iSCSI SAN.

I have used the VCP5 Mock Exam and the Practice Exams provided with the Official VCP5 Certification Guide and routinely score well(mid 400's)

I have over 30 pages of hand-written notes.

I have experience with VMware going back to the GSX days, I use VSphere 4.x daily.

In spite of the fact that, by every indication, I was fully prepared for the exam I failed at my first attempt, not only failed but failed by 50 points. I have been in the IT industry for over a decade, I have taken numerous certification exams before(over a dozen) for other vendors and never failed a single one until my first attempt at the VCP-510 exam.

I need advice on how to approach passing the exam since what I have done so far apparently isn't relevant to the exam. I am curious as to why none of the legitimate exam preparation companies I have traditionally used with in the past(Transcender, Boson, etc...) offer any products for VCP-510, seems like there is a lack of incentive there for some reason. My experience so far is that the "official" exam prep material completely missed the mark, other exam prep vendors have no products for VCP-510, leaving few alternatives. I appreciate any advice the community and offer, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
lc78
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.  Although I cannot give you exam specific advice (just started studying myself), I can offer you some practical advice from my own experience.  I've been in the industry for about 14 years now and have taken many exams from MS, Citrix, Cisco and now getting into VMware.  I think somewhere around 25 or so.  Some I had to study harder than others, some I had more experience than others, some I tested well on and others I didn't.  I've failed two exams, both on the same, pretty simple track.  I had quite a bit of experience with the technology, so didn't study overly hard, just kinda glossed over the material for a couple weeks and went in and failed the exam. Both times, I was able to pass the exam shortly after by really digging in.  Both times, obviously just my own fault for not concentrating on the details or topics I was not so experienced with. Not saying you did the same thing, sounds like you studied pretty hard.  Here's what I've done in the past

1. Try using a new source of study for the exam.  If you don't have a big budget and can deal with ebooks ok, Safari is a great resource and has several vmware books and two specific study guides for the vcp exam.  Make sure to make use of vmware documentation and boards like these for understanding concepts.  I've also found that there are several vcp/vmware blogs and podcasts that have really been helpful in getting me started.

2. Thoroughly go through each objective and cover what each different source has to say about it, and take notes.  Even if you already have a set of notes from your previous sources.  For me at least, it helps sink in more when I write stuff down as opposed to type it out.  I usually type out my notes later.

3. Use your score report and attack those objectives that you didn't do well on.  Make sure you know the ins and outs of that topic. Don't assume that because you've been working with the product for a while you already know enough.

4. Take breaks.  I don't know about you, but when I start studying for an exam I'm constantly reading, listening, watching or practicing and it can get pretty tiring.  It's good to take small chunks of time off to do other things besides study the topic (and besides work).

5. I try not to study the day before the test. I should know enough where I'm comfortable enough witht he material not to have to be studying or cramming the night before or even the day of the test.  From my experience the last thing you want to do is go into a test burnt out.  Also helps you relax a little and not go into the test all tense or hyped up making it likely that you'll misunderstand questions or scenarios.

6.  Read the questions carefully.  This is something I don't follow very well all the time.  I tend to read fast and sometimes skip over things, or misunderstand what I'm being asked to do.  Many times, there's a word or two that changes the scenario completely and thus the answer.  It's hard as a lot of times there's also fluff thrown in the question that you have to weed out in order to get the exact requirements of the scenario.  Then again, that's kinda real world huh?

Hope this helps.  Good luck, I'm sure if you just give yourself a bit of a break and then get back to it, you'll be fine.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

All I will add is to focus every single thing you do around the objectives in the blueprint, and use the vSphere documentation as well as your lab setup to help you prepare.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
SubterraneanHom
Contributor
Contributor

All these fail stories are really starting to terrify me.  I've read enough to be pretty concerned about the officially sanctioned prep books.  Seems like we're all reading the same 3 books (top 3 on amazon.com), and using the same notes, and doing the same labs and pre-tests, and such.  It certiainly does seem like there is room for someone to prepare true test notes pertinent to the test.

0 Kudos
lc78
Contributor
Contributor

I wouldn't worry too much.  We don't want an exam that's easy to pass.  As long as we have an exam blueprint to work from, we should be able to master that and pass the exam even without practice tests and or comprehensive study guides.    

0 Kudos
ckh1001
Contributor
Contributor

Hello scott28tt,

Thanks to you and everyone else that has posted for the advice. The "Official VCP5 Certification Guide" I purchased and read claims to follow the blueprint to the letter, that's one of the reasons I bought it, but it proved to be of little help. Honestly I have been disappointed with the quality of the book and the practice exams that come with the premium edition seem to be off target since I consistently scored well on them but failed the exam.

I think we are all reading the same 3 books because those are the only ones available, my experience so far is that there is a serious lack of quality study materials for this exam. I'm going to dig back in, not focusing so much on the "The Official VCP5 Certification Guide", the only book I haven't tried is the one from Sybex, if anyone has any experience with that book and can share their opinion that would be great. I've already invested considerable money and time in the study materials I've used so far and I'm reluctant to drop $60 on another book without getting some feedback from people who have used it.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Personally, I don't think buying books is necessary, or the right thing to do in your case - the blueprint, software, and product documentation are the key things in my opinion.

The exam isn't easy, but it is passable, and is easier the more you have used the software and explored as many of the exam objectives as you can.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
SubterraneanHom
Contributor
Contributor

I have the Sybex book, and it is pretty close to the "Official" book.  I think it gets a bit more details, and its chapter tests so far seem a bit harder, so hopefully that's good.

I've also downloaded an iPhone app with exam type questions on it.  It was about 20 bucks.I looked for the one with the best reviews, although I guess those could also be plants.  I'm not using it to memorize questions as much as I am using it to go over subject matter that so far I haven't seen covered in books.

People are also into using http://cosonok.blogspot.com/2011/10/vcp510-vcp-on-vsphere-5-exam-cram-notes.html  but that's of course a small set of notes.

I personally need to figure out how to have a test environment with a vDS, since apparently there are a lof vDS questions on the test.  My work environment doesn't really allow for me to have one.

I'm scheduled to take this thing at the end of the month, but I'm starting to think I'm going to reschedule for about 3 weeks later. 

I've upgraded hosts to 5.1 in "real life," and I'm doing quite a bit of every day VMware administration, but I certainly don't have all the options memorized.

0 Kudos
ckh1001
Contributor
Contributor

I built my VCP5 lab on Windows Workstation 8 and it allows you to create  vDS's, I was even able to do migrations from standard virtual switches  to vDS's. If you have hardware available that meets all the necessary  requirements(64-bit processor, 64-bit OS, supports virtualization  technology in hardware and BIOS, etc...) building a virtual lab is a low  cost option. I also used a piece of software called Virtuawin that lets  you create virtual desktops on Windows(similar to what Linux/UNIX  offers), if you build a virtual lab its easy for the desktop to get  cluttered with all the windows you have open and Virtuawin lets you  organize things onto virtual desktops and switch between them so it’s a  little easier to work with.

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm still a supporter of Scott Lowe's books.  The mastering vSphere book is the best un-intentional VCP study guide that you could get.  But you have to look at it as a resource to do your job (try to make your employer buy it?) and then tackle the objectives again.  Plus now you'll have a better idea of the style of questions asked.  Re-attack it while things are fresh, focus your study efforts on areas where you know you may have lacked and re-attempt.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
ckh1001
Contributor
Contributor

There are 13 books in the official VSphere 5 documentation collection and I wont have time to read them all, which ones do you think are the most important?

0 Kudos
vitalsign0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Were you ever able to pass the exam? I share your opinions on this exam. It is truly a poor measurement of ability and knowledge. Poor wording, trick questions, and grammar errors. Clearly this is just a revenue stream for VMware.

Boson has a lab now. I used their products for Cisco certification prep with success.

http://www.boson.com/practice-lab/vcp510-vmware-certified-professional-vsphere-5-practice-lab?r=1

0 Kudos
ckh1001
Contributor
Contributor

After dedicating pretty much every free moment I had over a period of about three weeks to studying for the VCP-510 exam I was able to pass, but not by much. Now that I have passed the exam my opinion of it hasn't really changed. I have a lot of IT experience (almost two decades) which includes experience with a variety of VMware and other virtualization products, and I have earned certifications from several other vendors. I have taken many certification exams over the course of my career and, for me, each of the previous certifications I have earned has been a more positive experience than the VCP program has been thus far. It's just my opinion but I think changes are needs (and not just to the exam), hopefully the necessary improvements will be made.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

ckh1001 wrote:

Here is where I am at in my exam prep right now...

I have read 2 vSphere 5 books(Scott Lowes book and the Official VCP5 Certification Guide)

I have built a lab with a Windows/SQL Express based vCenter Server, 2 ESXi 5 hosts, and a FreeNAS iSCSI SAN.

I have used the VCP5 Mock Exam and the Practice Exams provided with the Official VCP5 Certification Guide and routinely score well(mid 400's)

I have over 30 pages of hand-written notes.

I have experience with VMware going back to the GSX days, I use VSphere 4.x daily.

There is such a thing as being over prepared.  This usually results when you start reading things into the questions that aren't there and you start second guessing yourself.

JD

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

Lorenzo wrote:

5. I try not to study the day before the test. I should know enough where I'm comfortable enough witht he material not to have to be studying or cramming the night before or even the day of the test.  From my experience the last thing you want to do is go into a test burnt out.  Also helps you relax a little and not go into the test all tense or hyped up making it likely that you'll misunderstand questions or scenarios.

This is probably the single most important piece of advise you can follow.  I find studying the night before an exam just adds unnecessary pressure.  This is when you start cramming and getting stressed.  I find watching TV or reading a good novel helps me relax the night before an exam.

JD

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Whereas I prepare for exams really well the day before and even the night before - I think it's a really personal thing and I know what works best for me...

0 Kudos
smoketay
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your post on the practice labs at Boson. I was looking for some online labs (I just do not have the means to set up my own home lab). I see that Boson give one year worth of access to their live labs. From the looks of it, you not only get the live labs, you get training scenarios to go along with it. It sounds too goo to be true.

In your post you say you used them (Boson) for cisco training (which  worked out well for you), do you think the vmware will be good too? I have never heard of Boson before, just curious. The labs for vmware vcp-510 are $199.00 for a year of use. 

0 Kudos
vitalsign0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know if the VMware part would be good, I haven't used it. The Cisco material was great.

0 Kudos
smoketay
Contributor
Contributor

Thks for the quick response. I think I'm going to try the vmware training.  It is a reasonable compared to some training.  I'll let u know have it is.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you already taken the required vSphere training? If you don't you won't qualify for the certification.

0 Kudos