VMware Edu & Cert Community
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

My VCP 4.1 study guide

If anyone is still planning on taking the VCP 4.1 test I put together a study guide and thought I would share it. I'm not sure if its overkill or not enough since I haven't taken the test yet myself. What I did was go through both the books from the VMware class with my highlighter and then typed it all up into a 54 page Word document in an easier to read format. There are most likely some items that were left out because most people would know the info anyway such as how to start a VM or something easy like that. I also added the listing of vSphere maximums to the end of the document. Keep in mind that you most likely will need to do more than learn this to pass the test so don't rely on it exclusively.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yeah.  Thanks so much for sharing.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's a decent summary of the ICM course (including a couple of scanned slides I notice), but as you say it won't be enough on it's own - for those taking the VCP exam you must review the exam blueprint document to see what you will get tested on, and it's a good bit more than what's in the document here.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

Scott,

How much do you think that modified VCP blueprint on your blog helps for the exam material?

http://www.b3rg.nl/vcp-4.0/introduction/vmware-certified-professional-on-vsphere-4-learning-guide.ht...

I have watched the Trainsignal and CBT Nuggets video series many times over and have used VMware in a lab for about a year and in production for a few months. Plus Im going over my study guide as much as possible. What else do you think I need to get ready for the test?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I know a lot of people who have used all the resources listed on the "VCP4 Study" page on my blog to help them pass their exam, personally I think the exam blueprint and vSphere doumentation are THE best resources and the reason why is really simple - every item in the exam comes from an objective in the blueprint and the correct answers are validated against the documentation (not the training manuals).

I also wrote an exam prep workshop which helps, it's full of practice questions which I've written to be in the same style and level of difficulty as the real exam: http://www.globalknowledge.co.uk/courses/vmware/virtualisation/vsexp.html

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Wasisnt
Contributor
Contributor

How does this compare to the real test?

http://www.simonlong.co.uk/blog/vcp-vsphere-4-practice-exam/

Is your exam prep workshop something you do in person? Thats what it looks like from the link.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Simon's exams are good for practice, just to get you used to thinking, without looking at notes or at vSphere, but I would say they are more simple than the items in the real exam.

The workshop is an instructor-led event and contains tips on preparation, tips on taking the exam, and over 100 practice questions. We deliver it in class or via Webex (the "Virtual Training Centre" events you can see on the list of dates).

Scott.

0 Kudos