VMware Edu & Cert Community
edutz1014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrating VMs to a vDS

I am prepping for my VCP exam this month and I need to clarify the possible methods to migrate a virtual machine to a vDS. Some information I am reading states the only two recommended ways to migrate a virtual machine/multiple virtual machine to a vDS switch is as follows:

1. Edit the adapter for a particular vm and select the vDS port group

2. Use the migration wizard wizard under the vDS networking view and migrate the vms that way.

I also see that you can migrate the port group which then allows you to select the virtual machine attached to that port group. So my question is this:

Can you mirate a port group and have it in turn migrate the virtual machines attached to it? I have tried it in my home lab and that method seems to work. I don't remember seeing that method listed on the VMware vSphere 5 networking pdf.

Always thanks for the help!

Ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you can migrate VM's to a vDS using the "Migrate Virtual Machine Networking" wizard. This is an option to migrate all or selected VM network adapters from a specific port group to an existing vDS port group (or vice versa).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you can migrate VM's to a vDS using the "Migrate Virtual Machine Networking" wizard. This is an option to migrate all or selected VM network adapters from a specific port group to an existing vDS port group (or vice versa).

André

0 Kudos
edutz1014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As always, Thanks Andre

0 Kudos