VMware Edu & Cert Community
zubairhussain
Contributor
Contributor

Is it fair to force to pay around 800$ more just because my VCP550 Certificate expired ?

At least one should be allowed to retake the same exam. If the certificate expired, Making the course invalid and forcing to take a course again is not fair. I mean the knowledge earned form the classes and experience gained doesn't evaporate. If VMware thinks otherwise, they should at least allow to take the same test with the course already completed.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That's the problem with allowing your VCP to expire - my recertification deadline is next week so I'm taking an exam this Friday to give me 2 more years, I've had numerous emails warning me that the deadline was approaching.

I did post some time ago on my blog about the dangers of an expiring VCP: VMware Training and Certification: Don't allow your VCP certification to expire - here's why!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
zubairhussain
Contributor
Contributor

I received only two mails one before 90 days, the other before 30 days. Unfortunately both went into the spam folder. My question is making the Training invalid if got certified else is valid, is not fair. Further there is no gain in taking the same training again. Forcing to spend 3 months of salary again for nothing is terrible.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can't blame VMware for your spam filter being over zealous - I received the emails straight into my Inbox. If you got your first VCP 2 years ago, recertification/expiry was already part of the VCP agreement when you joined the program.

You receive the rewards of being a VCP for the 2 year period, beyond that your certification is expired and you don't get any credit from previous training/exams - other than for VCP6-DCV where they've allowed the What's New class to qualify if you were a VCP5-DCV holder, so that you don't have to take a full class again.

You could always have taken a higher-level class, attempted a higher-level certification exam, or updated to the latest version - prior to expiry - those who did that (myself included) have their expiry date pushed out by another 2 years, which is fair to them. The various options are outlined on the Recertification Policy

At this stage you have a choice - you could leave your VCP expired, or meet the set of requirements to achieve a new VCP for those with expired VCPs as I mentioned in this reply to you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
zubairhussain
Contributor
Contributor

My Question is Simple,

1. My friend attended training didn't got certified.
  2. I attended the training after 4 months, got certified, which is now expired.
  3. VMware says training never expires
  4. What is the reason my friend is eligible to take the exam, and I must attend the same training again to qualify for the exam.

*** Please don't give any additional information except the reason ***

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That would be a question to ask the VMware Certification team - certification@vmware.com

0 Kudos