VMware Edu & Cert Community
needmorstuff007
Contributor
Contributor

IaaS exam, what version of VCD to study?

Hi All,

Confused confused confused...

Blueprint 2.4 for the iaas exam has numerous links pointing to vcd install and config 1.5, I have emailed certification help and they say to study for 5.1? (see below)

But even if you follow the link they provided it and scroll to the bottom of the page there again is a link to vcd 1.5 VMware vCloud: Deploy and Manage the VMware Cloud [V1.5]

I would love to study on 5.1 as they suggested, even if it means me losing a couple of points if I am tested on 1.5 and some 1.5 content is missed.

So the quesiton, what version is the exam based on? and if it is 1.5 can I get away with studying for 5.1 instead?

"Hi Gary,

According to our website, you should study:

VMware vCloud Director: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.1]

For additional questions please visit:

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=32558&ui=www_cert

Regards,

VMware Certification Advocate"

The website

VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 VCAPDCD-111 VCAPDCA-219
Tags (2)
7 Replies
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As per VMware's website, as a VCP-DCV, you may (recommanded, not mandatory) follow "VMware vCloud ICM 5.1" course before scheduling IaaS Exam to become VCP-Cloud.

With this, I assume that the "vCloud version" you should use to prepare your IaaS exam is v5.1, which was confirmed by VMware Certification Team in the email they sent you.

See you

Ludovic

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I spoke with a colleague in the office this week (I work at VMware), he did the IaaS exam a couple of months back - it was based on 1.5 and has not been updated since.

In his opinion, you are better off studying using 1.5 so you can focus on it's capabilities and not be "distracted" by changes in 5.1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

As of the time of this post:

VCP-IaaS = 1.5

VCP-Cloud = 5.1

Regarding class advice, I will look into why a 5.1 class is recommended for the 1.5 exam and a 1.5 exam is on the list of requirements for the 5.1 exam.

needmorstuff007
Contributor
Contributor

glad it's not just me..

I really really don't want to study an old version.. I don't care if I scrape a pass due to studying 5.1 - so does anyone know what the content difference is in % between the two? I usually get high pretty high scores on the exams so unless its completely different I will study 5.1

VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 VCAPDCD-111 VCAPDCA-219
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

I would study 5.1 but understand the differences especially in networking. You might look for "What's new" articles and extrapolate what you need to know for 1.5.

0 Kudos
ldesfontaines
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Joshua,

Do you know if there is any "official" document that may detail that point ?

I'm currently VCP-DCV and preparing for VCP-Cloud. I first started to work with vCloud 5.1 (already followed vCloud ICM 5.1 course) and was preparing IaaS Exam, based on the official training path this was somewhat obvious Smiley Happy).

Anyway, would you recommand trying Iaas Exam (VCPVCD510) or Cloud Exam (VCPC510), as VCP-DCV and had followed vCloud ICM 5.1 (not 1.5 Smiley Wink) ?

Regards,

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

Best official doc is the blueprints,

from the IaaS doc:

5.3 Building a vCloud Test Environment

All VMware products, including vSphere 5 and vCD 1.5, can be downloaded and evaluated for 60 days.

from VCP-Cloud:

5.3 Building a vCloud Test Environment

All VMware products, including vSphere 5 and vCloud Director 5.1, can be downloaded and evaluated for 60 days.

VCP-Cloud includes vSphere and has more questions (same # of cloud, but adds vSphere) but covers 5.1

If you don't want to study 1.5 and have recently passed VCP5-DCV (so you don't have to study it again) then VCP-Cloud is a good option.

0 Kudos