VMware Edu & Cert Community
VSurvivor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ICM4 to VCP5

Hi,

I really did not understood the VCP5 requirement. I attended ICM4 and without passing VCP4 I passed VCP5 on 29th Feb. Now I need to know in order to certify for VCP5 should I take VCP4 and get passed (or) it is must to take "What's new in VSphere5". I would prefer to take VCP4 exam instead of taking What's New in VSphere5" course.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

since you already took and passed the VCP5 exam, completing the "what's new" course will be all the you need to do.  Once the course is completed you will be officially recognized as a VCP5 by VMware.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can still take the VCP4 exam, as you have met the prerequisites for that. However, until you take alteast the "what's new" course for vSphere5, you will not be recognized as a VCP5

0 Kudos
VSurvivor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Since I took the exam on 29th Feb and passed, passing only VCP4 will not make me certify for VCP5.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

since you are not VCP4, the 2/29/12 date doesn't matter.  You would have needed to VCP4 to jump directly to the VCP5 exam. For what it's worth, if it were me, I would sit the "what's new" course for your VCP5, then at a later date, if you desire take the VCP4 exam again.

0 Kudos
VSurvivor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

taking only the course will certify me for VCP5 or will I be asked to retake the exam

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you take the What's New class you will not have to retake the exam - once the class is completed you should start receiving the emails for becoming a VCP5 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

since you already took and passed the VCP5 exam, completing the "what's new" course will be all the you need to do.  Once the course is completed you will be officially recognized as a VCP5 by VMware.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As it stands at the moment you are not VCP certified on any vSphere version.

VCP4

You meet the training requirement for VCP4, but you will not be VCP4 certified unless you pass the VCP410 exam. The exam is still available, no retirement date has been set or announced.

VCP5

You do not meet the training requirement for VCP5, you will have to attend vSphere 5: What's New to meet that requirement.

If we were not already into March 2012 things would be different.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your case is probably unique so I would suggest emailing certification@vmware.com and asking them for your options.  With a bit of luck, they'll let you sit the VCP410 exam and give you credit for both 4 & 5 if you pass.  We know that taking the What's New course will qualify you but I'm willing to bet it's a lot cheaper to write the VCP410 exam than it is to take the course, and since you already passed the VCP510 exam, you know most of what you need to know already to pass the VCP410 exam.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sorry Ed, but I cannot possibly see how emailing the Certification team will achieve anything - the options are clear given the VCP5 requirements as they were both before and after February 29th, same for the VCP4.

This can all be validated by consulting the VCP4 and VCP5 pages at http://www.vmware.com/certification

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos