VMware Edu & Cert Community
deepaknegi
Contributor
Contributor

How should I plan VCP4

My name is Deepak Negi, I have 4 years of experience in windows and Linux and I have completed the 4 days VCP training course recently. I came to know that the key to clear the exam is getting started with the blueprint. Is it a good idea to buy a hardware so that I can install two Vmware ESX/ESXi 4.1 within workstation 7 and I can test the features like Vmotion HA and etc. Currently I have installed Vmware ESXi4 as a nested VM in my laptop where I am able to install and configure ESX and ESXi although I have created a virtual Machine under ESXi which is very very slow. I want to clear VCP soon so any help would be appreciated.

Thank You, Deepak Negi
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

unless you have another system where you can do some hands on training, it would be a good idea to spend some money for an up to date sytem on which you can practice the different features. Make sure the system supports VT to be able to run 64 bit guests!

You may also take a look at Scott Vessey's blog at http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com/ for interesing informations and links about the certification.

André

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

firstly,

build yourself a lab, so that you can get the hands on experoience you need.

Secondly, get hold of the BluePrints and make sure you understand all the concepts within these:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-10074;jsessionid=95FE4A740BE96AD8AAA078130550BFE9

also, have a look at http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com/2009/09/studying-for-vcp-on-vsphere-4.html

Scott Vessey and Simon Long (and others mentioned on that blog) know all there is to know about getting certified

Lastly, get active on the community, ask when you need help, help when you can.

good luck and please feed back.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
deepaknegi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You so much for your guidence.

Thank You, Deepak Negi
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

no problem - good luck when it comes to exam time - and once you're done  . . please post back with any useful tips that you can share with other in your position . .

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
RaymondG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I did was 1st built a lab.   I put together a system what some ram and a quad core processor and installed esx on it.   Once that was  up and runing, I created a vm for the vcenter install.   I'm not sure if it is neccesary, but if you wanted, you could create more VMs as ESX servers to cluster for HA and vmotion, FT etc....

For me personally, the exam did not help....I still would not consider take the Cert until i am able to pass the mock exam....but dont expect to see those same questions on the real test.

I found that hands on experience and reading the document bundle for vsphere was the most help.

Raymond Golden VCP3, VCP4, MCSA, A+, Net+, SEC+
0 Kudos