VMware Edu & Cert Community
ysfpatrick1
Contributor
Contributor

How can I upgrade my VCP 5 to VCP 6?

My existing VCP5- DCV certification will expire on May 08, 2015. I would ask how can I renew it with VCP 6 before the expire date?

Can I take and pass the VCP6 - Delta Beta exam to renew my certificate to VCP6?

I also would ask what is the different between "VCP6: Network Virtualization Exam (code: 2V0-641)" and "VCP-Network Virtualization (code: VCPN610)"? If I pass VCPN610 can I get the VCP6 certificate?

9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If there are still slots available, you could recertify by registering for and taking the 2V0-621D beta exam - but you might not get a date to take the exam prior to May 8th, and it you discover some weeks later (as is the case with beta exams) that you didn't pass you'd be left with an expired certification and have to take a training course.

Have a look at the Migration Paths tab on this page for all your options: VCP6-DCV Certification

I think your safest recertification option is to take VCP550D to recertify your VCP5-DCV, then look to take the final 2V0-621D exam later when it is released to update to VCP6-DCV.

VCPN610 is the older exam for VCP-NV, whereas 2V0-641 is the exam for the new VCP6-NV - so you'd have to pass 2V0-641 in order to get VCP6-NV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ysfpatrick1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for your reply. I confirmed has time slot to take 2V0-621D before 8-May. However, as I know this is beta exam and I will get the score after beta period which may after 8-May. Is it OK for me to get the VCP6?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you take the 2V0-621D beta you will not get your result til June or July, and if you have not passed it your certifications will have expired. If that happens, to re-gain certification you will then have to take training as well as pass an exam - that's the risk of using the 2V0-621D beta to recertify.

If you're happy to take that risk, go for 2V0-621D, if not go for VCP550D for now then take the final 2V0-621D when it is launched.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
number1vspheref
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification Scott.

So I'm happy to take the risk that I'll miss the May 8 deadline if I get my delta exam results in a couple of months and I fail, that's life.

But to be clear - can you confirm that if I pass the exam, the fact that I receive the results on a random date in July that is after May 8th won't mean that I've still missed the deadline i.e. that deadline is based on when results are received rather than when exam is taken?

Just want to be certain on that one!

Thanks,

number1vspherefan.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I just found this note on a page about VMware beta exams:

• Please note: if you are taking a beta exam for purposes of recertifying your VCP, if the scoring is not completed before your recertification deadline your VCP status could be in jeopardy. You should plan accordingly to allow enough time, or pursue an alternate route to recertification.

My interpretation of that note is that you should be taking VCP550D to recertify, then worry about VCP6-DCV at a later date.

Here's the source page: Certification Program Beta Exams

0 Kudos
ysfpatrick1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Today I get an email from VMware which subject is "Recertification Extension for Beta Participants‏"

"We are still in the collection stage of the beta process and have not yet begun scoring individual test results. We see from your records that your VCP certification will expire before the beta period ends. We have put in a manual override to ensure that your certification does not expire due to your participation in the beta process."

That is a good news for me. I am happy I have taken this beta exam.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for posting, and good luck with the result of your beta exam.

0 Kudos
silverline
Contributor
Contributor

ysfpatrick - Did you have to send an email to someone to generate this override?  My certification is about to expire this Wednesday and I just took the beta exam and am not worried my expiration will impact me due to the scoring delay.

If you contacted someone can you tell me who it was that you contacted?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ysfpatrick1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I haven't send any email, VMware sent me a vwmare say will extend my certificate

0 Kudos