VMware Edu & Cert Community
nguyenquangminh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How VCP exam can be changed after vSphere 5.1 is released ?

Hi all,

I'm preparing for the VCP exam of vSphere 5.0, and now vSphere 5.1 is released, so I have some questions about how the VCP exam may change in near future:

- Do you know or can you guess when the knowledge/skills based on vSphere 5.1 will be tested on exam ?

- Exam based on vSphere 5.1 will be seperate exam with its own code, or the current VCP5 exam will be updated to include content of vSphere 5.1 ?

- If VCP5.1 exam (based on vSphere 5.1) will be a seperate exam, will it replace the current VCP 5.0 exam ? or both exams for vSphere 5.0 and 5.1 co-exist at the same time ?

I have invested in current VCP5 exam, so I just want to know whether I should take VCP5 exam the soonest to avoid exam update/upgrade/change ? or don't have to hurry up because vSphere 5.1 will not affect the current VCP5 exam ?

Thank you a lot for advices,

Minh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This question comes up each time VMware release a minor version of vSphere, and the answer is that VCP exams are independent of minor versions. VCP510 is the exam for VCP for vSphere 5, not 5.0 or 5.1.

The certification team go through each question in the pool for the exam and ensure that each item is valid across all minor versions. Unless VMware publish a new exam blueprint which specifically calls out 5.1, you can continue your preparations as you are today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am not sure - up updates get rolled into the exam but 5.1 is a big enough change in the funcrionality that VMware might do what they with VI 3.5 and create a new exam -

The one sure spot is to keep an eye on the Blue Print - when that gets updated the ecam will be updated

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Until now exams where always agnostic on minor numer (except the VCP4-DT that has been changed with View 4.6!).

VCP is quite high level to remain (IMHO) the same.

But I have to suppose that VCAP5-DCA may change with new Web Client.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This question comes up each time VMware release a minor version of vSphere, and the answer is that VCP exams are independent of minor versions. VCP510 is the exam for VCP for vSphere 5, not 5.0 or 5.1.

The certification team go through each question in the pool for the exam and ensure that each item is valid across all minor versions. Unless VMware publish a new exam blueprint which specifically calls out 5.1, you can continue your preparations as you are today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Neil_Koch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very good to know!

0 Kudos
GarethL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm in the same boat, so this is good to know.

0 Kudos
And_MV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification Scott. I figured that much as I always follow the blue print. Next month I'll be doing the VCP510 exam and haven't had the chance to sit the course yet... I was kind of hesitant to schedule the course because I didn't know if there's going to be a new course with vSphere 5.1 features but it looks like it's all good.

Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.
0 Kudos