VMware Edu & Cert Community
danorama
Contributor
Contributor

Finally passed VCP5-DCV - 2nd attempt

I underestimated this exam on my first attempt and was shocked as to how challenging it was. I studied for a few more months and passed today.

A few questions:

1) How long does it take for VMware to contact me with my VCP5-DCV credentials?

2) I'm worried that the Certification of Completion that we get after completing the course has "Dan" listed, but I took the exam as "Daniel" which is on my license. Will this be an issue?

3) It's time for a change. I've been a Windows Sys Admin for most of my IT career, but I've really grown fascinated with VMware's virtualization technology.

I'm seeking advice as to which direction in the VMware world I should take in regards to a career change. There seem to be multiple options as far as certs are concerned.

(Cloud vs Data Center vs End User Computing) Which path is in most demand?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

First off congratualtoins!

1) As I recall you should get an email within 7-10 business days -

2) It will not make a difference

3) All are in demand - be prepared you will find the majority of open positions within professional services organizations - with your background I think the easiest transition will be into Data Center I think the greatest growth will be in Cloud COmputing -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well done!

VMware's Cloud and EUC offerings both build on top of vSphere, so DCV on it's own will have strong demand. I'd agree with the reply above this, that the greatest growth will be in cloud.

From a purely VMware perspective, in terms of knowledge and skills, I'd focus on vCloud Director and vCloud Automation Center with vCenter Orchestrator. In terms of certifications, I'd be looking at the -Cloud VCP/VCAP/VCDX offerings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
danorama
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, weinstein5, for the quick response.

I've noticed some datacenter positions requiring SAN experience. The organization I work for have their SANs in another state, so it's quite difficult to get actual hands-on experience. So far, I've downloaded a trial of NetApp Data ONTAP simulator for ESXi to play around with.

Are there any tips or courses you'd recommend in this regard?

0 Kudos
danorama
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, scott28tt.

Is the VCP5-IaaS a good start? Is it still even called that anymore? Apparently, it suppose to test you on vCloud Director knowledge. Now that I have my VCP5-DCV, will I need to pay for a course or can I self study in order to get VCP-IaaS certified?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The VCP-IaaS exam is what a VCP5-DCV can take to also be awarded the VCP-Cloud certification. There is no VCP-IaaS certification.

You can also achieve VCP-Cloud certification by gaining VCAP-CID or VCAP-CIA certifications.

I'd suggest having a good look through the Certification page, and review the requirements for each certification:

VMware Certification

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
danorama
Contributor
Contributor

Will do. Thanks again, scott28tt.

0 Kudos