VMware Edu & Cert Community
flomaster
Contributor
Contributor

Failed VCP5 exam today :(

Hello VMware Community

So I came back from taking the test today depressed as I failed miserably 223 points out of 500,which obviously 300 is passing.
Here is my background. I took the ICM course, i have a lab and a production environment at work.
Studied the blue print v 2.7, read the books from class, found other notes online.

Cosonok's IT Blog: VCP510 (VCP on vSphere 5) Exam Cram Notes Part 1/3

http://blog.mwpreston.net/vcp‐5/

VCP5 VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 Study Guide: Exam VCP-510: Brian Atkinson: (I have this book)

The Official VCP5 Certification Guide (VMware Press Certification): Bill Ferguson: ( Should I be buying this book instead????)
Test was very heavy on storage, some scripting and scenario performance type questions 90% of the time.
They are looking for extensive real world experience with working on this environment which you can't get in these books or study guides.
Questions very very weird and will throw you off your game.I don't believe it follows the blue print at all.(in my opinion)
You only get about a minute per question so its a fast test.
No maximum, VDR, ports or other new features type questions. Mock exam not nearly even close enough which is ok.

My confidence level is into the ground. I feel that I know the environment, i work with it, i know my stuff, but not enough i guess.
So, I got to start from scratch back at the drawing board and study everything once again. It is what it is.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry to hear you didn't make it.

I've always said that there are 3 things you need:

1. The blueprint - to plan

2. The documentation - to study

3. The software - to play

I don't personally think you need anything else.

When I took the exam I felt that every single question could be attributed to an area of the blueprint objectives. VMware validate all the exam items against the documentation. And you've seen for yourself already how important hands-on experience is.

Best of luck for your next attempt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the communities.

My advice in these cases is always to try to focus your studies on the items you know gave you trouble. The questions that stumped you or didn't make sense should be fresh in your mind. Try to write down everything you can remember and go from there in your next round of study.

The points Scott make above are very true - and I think that the lab/software is the key to getting the hands-on experience you will need. I tried to include lots of labs in my book, to ensure the hands-on component would be addressed.

Best of luck in your next attempt!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
flomaster
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for all the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Are you the author of the book that i have VCP5 VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5 Study Guide: Exam VCP-510  ???

Brian A? I will go through this book cover to cover, i've been using your flash cards and the cd you have a prep.

I will definetly get back on my feet and try again.

0 Kudos
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You will get this....FYI, there is a new Blueprint and the version is 2.8.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, that's me. Its a small virtual world....

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
flomaster
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Brian Smiley Happy.Awesome. I will study your book and make sure to understand each objective 100%. Also a coworker of mine bought your book as well and we both are trying to tackle this tough exam again.

Hopefully this will push me over the edge on passing it for good cause its stressing me out...jk. Much appreciated...

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The objectives in the blueprint changed following the release of vSphere 5.1 - I would still recommend the plan I suggested earlier in this discussion and consider the book as a supplementary study item.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

That book is a very good resource for the VCP exam.  just concentrate on your weaker areas, and practice in your lab.  now you understand the format of the exam that also helps as it is another worry that is gone.

This exam is passable, but it is also vigorous but fair

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
flomaster
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys. I read the new blue print v2.8 didn't notice anything new from 2.7.

I understand these exams are hard for a reason though. They give you a run for their money for sure.

I will do my homework and get back on my feet. I'm doing it now as we speak now. I will pass this exam sooner than later. 

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

This is kind of an update from a previous post, but here goes:

At the time my book was published, it was to version 1.4 of the exam blueprint. At that time, my book included content to cover every single objective listed in the blueprint.

The blueprint version number has changed several times, since my book was published. Until version 2.5 of the blueprint was released, the objectives in the blueprint did not actually change. With version 2.5 of the blueprint, there were actually some objectives removed. These change are documented on Andrea_Mauro's (AndreTheGiant) site at http://vinfrastructure.it/en/2013/03/some-updates-on-the-vcp5-dv-exam/

I just went through version 2.8 of the exam blueprint and confirmed that there have been no additional changes, since those listed in Adrea's post linked above.

Currently my book only lacks coverage for one single exam objective:

Objective 1.5 – Identify vSphere Architecture and Solutions

Identify the various datacenter solutions that interact with vSphere (View, SRM, Lab Manager, etc)

My honest opinion on this objective is that there is sufficient information on the product pages (View, SRM, Lab Manager) for each of these solutions to get you through the exam. Know what each product is and what it is used for and you should be fine. As for which specific products, you will have to use a bit of your own judgement here. Unfortunately the inclusion of discontinued products and the blanket term "etc" leaves it a bit vague.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Still a very good book though?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos