VMware Edu & Cert Community
VKZ
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 5.0 or Esxi5.1 for VCP5 EXAM ?

I'm going to take the exam next month. I stick to the exam blueprint but don't know if I need to stay with Esxi 5.0 or Esxi 5.1 for the exam. Any tips? Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The exam is against 5.0

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to several discussions, the exam does not contain questions about features, which are not common in both versions.

André

PS: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to VCP: VMware Certified Professional

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It doesn't matter whether you use the 5.0 or 5.1 software and documentation - the exam was updated a few months ago to make it applicable to both versions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Is generic 5.x

See also: http://vinfrastructure.it/en/2013/03/some-updates-on-the-vcp5-dv-exam/

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
VKZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the responses. They very helpful.

I think I have to stick to the exam Blueprint for the study and hands-on.

Another question although I have said above, NetFlow and Port Mirror should NOT be in the exam, correct?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

They are part of the configuration of a distributed switch, and that is tested on in terms of port groups and uplinks, but I can't recall if those features are specifically called out in the blueprint.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
VKZ
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't see it in my course materials from last October, but from online PDF. That was why I asked. Thanks, Scott.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Be careful, the course materials are not a perfect match to the exam blueprint objectives - if you attended Install Configure Manage you won't have covered the distributed switch at all, but it is one of the exam blueprint objectives.

0 Kudos
danorama
Contributor
Contributor

The VCP-510 DOES have 5.1 questions. I just took it Friday 3/29 and answered a 5.1 installation question. Sigal-Sign On and Invertory was on there.

0 Kudos
danorama
Contributor
Contributor

The books of Brian Atkinson and Scott lowe, along with the blue print will get you 70% there. Read a lot about trouble shooting storage, VM's, vSwitches, and vDS from from other sources. The exam is hardly theory, but mostly practical.

The sentence structure of the questions seem as though were written by a foreigner, so you've got to know your stuff, becasue if you spend too much time decifiering what they're asking then you're out of time. Remember: 90 minutes to answer 85 questions.

0 Kudos
gregstreuber
Contributor
Contributor

How about configuration maximums? The blueprint does not discuss which version of the configuration maximums to use. Thanks.:smileyconfused:

Greg Streuber
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As the exam items are independent of the minor version, you only need knowledge of the maximums (as well as other features and functions) that are applicable to both 5.0 and 5.1.

You won't get any "what's the maximum number of...." questions though, but a good understanding of some maximums (and defaults) can help.

0 Kudos