VMware Edu & Cert Community
fergieman
Contributor
Contributor

ESX4.1 Custom Partition Setup

Hi Guys

I've been doing lots of reading and research as I prepare for my vcp4 exam at the end of july. I cant seem to get anything consistent in terms of how to partition the esx4.1 - i have scott lowe book - but he mentions nothing about the /home, /tmp partitions. I open a few others books / online forums and some have different partitions and sizes....

So i have 2 questions :

1. in the exam . will vmware ask me anything about custom partitions (should I just stick to their default ones)?

2. Is this a good esx host parition setup ?

/boot - 1100megs ** I CANNOT EDIT THIS IN GRAPHICAL INSTALL MODE

vmkcore - 110megs  ** I CANNOT EDIT THIS SIZE ALSO

/ - 5GIGS

SWAP - 1.6GIGS Max

/var - 4GIGs

/home - 2GIGS

/opt - 2GIGS

/temp  - 2GS

Do I need a /usr partition ?

Do I need a /log partition ?

Any I am missing any other partition ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Pages 61 and 62 of the ESX Installation Guide for 4.1 covers the standard and some optional partitions. The VCP Exam Blueprint does mention custom installations, so yes you might get tested on those in the exam. Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know if we want to increase the default size of the vmkcore partition, we have to use a script for installing.  May be if we want to customize an install, we have to use a script?  I have not read the ESX instalation Guide as Scott has suggested but may be that talks about it also.

I don't know if we can change the size of the /boot partition.

BTW, I am planning to take the VCP exam at the end of July also.  Good Luck on your exam.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Note that /log and /temp does not exist.

The /var/log could be useful, but also the entire /var it's fine.

With 3rd part tools /opt may be needed, more than a custom /usr (that usually does not grow too much).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos