VMware Edu & Cert Community
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Downloading the Correct ISO files for ESXi 5.1 and VCP Certificaiton

I've just received the last of my hardware for a ESXi 5.1 home lab and need to know which ISO files to download.  On the website there are several options, but I don't want to select the wrong one.

This lab is for studying and passing my VCP exam and work as a home lab for other virtual training.  Below are three options I've been asked to select from.

vSphere

vSphere with Operations Management

VMware vCloud Director

Which should I download to make the most of my lab?  Currently I've got one lab server built, but plan on building a second one with a shared storage device for maximum training ability.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would recommend testing WS10 first on an Eval.  I installed it 2 weeks ago week and had an issue with ESXi 5.5 VM's.  vmnic0 was the only nic that would be detected, tried adding the nics before the ESXi OS was installed, after, removing and readding them but it would only ever see the default nic (DCUI or client).  I installed WS9 on eval and it worked straight away.

I did a quick search at the time and others has experienced similar issues, it may well have been resolved by now but best to test before making the purchase.

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd suggest you go with the "vSphere with Operations Management" evaluation. In any case make sure you cover the topics in the current Exam Blueprint, which can be downloaded from the VCP5-DCV web page.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... just in case you're interested. Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab explains how to build a virtual lab - including shared storage - on a single host.

André

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've known I could create a virtual lab instead of a physical one, but several people said there were limitations in doing so.  I had planned on building a full lab with a second set of hardware and a shared storage device.

Has something changed to where you don't need two computers and hardware storage device?  Until I buy the rest of the hardware I could go this route.

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another question I forgot to ask.  Instead of burning the ISO files to a CD/DVD can I save them to a thumb drive from my windows machine and run/boot them from my lab equipment?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I run a virtual lab like the one I mentioned myself. It's based on an I7-2600 CPU, a 128GB SSD + 2TB HDD for VMs and 16GB RAM. There might be some limitations regarding performance for nested VMs, but from my own experience you can prepare yourself perfectly with such a virtual lab. You can even run vSAN in a virtual lab without even having an SSD. The only limitation I saw so far is related to the host memory. With all VM's powered on, 16GB is the absolute minimum you should have.

Regarding CD: Although there are some tools to prepare an USB drive for installing ESXi, I would stick with a CD-ROM which usually works without issues.

André

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've mirrored my lab equipment based on a post on Chris Wahl's website.  I purchased a XEON E3-1230 v3 / LGA1150 processor with 32GB of ECC udimm memory at 1600 MHz.

I wasn't going to add a internal hard drive, but will review more information before I continue.

Would I be able to dual boot between a direct install and VMware Worksation 8, 9 or 10?  This would definitely give me more flexibility with my hardware. 

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which Workstation version would be best for running ESXi 5.1, 5.5 Virtual Labs?  When I did some research about six months ago people were recommendeing Workstation 8 instead of 9 because of some issues.

Now Workstation 10 is available, which is more stable for a serious lab 8, 9 or 10?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Personally I'm still using WS8, but I think WS10 should be ok by now.

Regarding dual-boot. If you plan to have internal disks for VMware Workstation and shared storage for ESXi, you may consider to install an OS (Windows/Linux) on the local disks to use them with WS, and install ESXi on an USB stick (1GB is sufficient).

André

PS: Unless you need to use an older version (e.g. because you're also using this in production), go with the latest vSphere 5.5.

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I plan on going this route for now and after some experience I should be upgrading to a dedicated lab if I need to.  I was just about to order Workstation 10 and realized it's not a stand along operating system so I have to load it on top of one like Windows or something else.

When ordering Workstation 10 does anyone know if they ship it to you or is it download only?  The reason I ask is I got to the part where I submit my order and there was no shipping options.  I'll have to do some more research before I move forward.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are right, VMware Workstation (as well as VMware Player, Fusion, ...) are installed on top of an OS. Only ESXi is a native (Type 1) Hypervisor.

As far as I know, VMware doesn't ship the physical media anymore, but only provides you with the downloads. Before you order it, I'd recommend you register for the free 30-day evaluation at Try VMware Workstation, and once you are satisfied order it and enter the license key.

André

Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would recommend testing WS10 first on an Eval.  I installed it 2 weeks ago week and had an issue with ESXi 5.5 VM's.  vmnic0 was the only nic that would be detected, tried adding the nics before the ESXi OS was installed, after, removing and readding them but it would only ever see the default nic (DCUI or client).  I installed WS9 on eval and it worked straight away.

I did a quick search at the time and others has experienced similar issues, it may well have been resolved by now but best to test before making the purchase.

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is great information I appreciate you pointing that out.  I was going to purchase WS10, not remembering I could download it, maybe mainly because I thought it wasn't it's own Operating System.

I'll download 10 and see what problems I run into.  If I need to down grade to Workstation 9 how do I get it?  I tried looking on the VMware website for WS 8 & 9, but all I can locate are downloads for 10.

Is Workstation 8 & 9 still available to download and install?

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

I have an older non-VMware account that has a registered license for Workstation 7 and no other version.  Logged in as that user I can download any binaries from 4.5 to 10.  My theory would be, once you register your "10" license you can download the old ones.  Then the question is, how do you license it?  Which may be a question for VMware Licensing Support.

0 Kudos