VMware Edu & Cert Community
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V4.0] class qualify for VCP5 prereq?

Hi All,

Did some searching, but wasn't able to confirm.  Also left message with our areas VMware training rep last week, but never heard back so thought I would try here.

In 2011 I completed the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V4.0] course.  I never proceeded to get my VCP4, but now want to try for my VCP5.  Would this class qualify as a prereq so that I can just take the VMware vSphere: What's New [V5.0] course?  The web site specifically calls out needing the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V4.1] class so I am guessing not, but wanted to verify.  Would like to take the shorter what's new class rather than a 4 or 5 day class on vSphere 5.0 if I can.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Bob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No problem, that path has always been available for VCP5.

And to Bob, the 4.0 class counts as well as the 4.1 class - it's only the 4.1 class that's mentioned as the 4.0 class retired some time ago and was removed from the VCP5 page when it was retired.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The shortest (least expensive) way to achieve the VCP5 certification in your case is to take and pass the VCP4 exam, then take the What's new 5 course and finally pass the VCP5 exam.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't agree - someone who attended a VCP4-qualifying class doesn't need to become a VCP4 for the What's New class for vSphere 5 to qualify them for VCP5...

The bottom row on the graphic on the VCP5 page defines the path applicable here: http://www.vmware.com/go/vcp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I must apologize. I somehow missed this.

Has this certification option been added lately?

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No problem, that path has always been available for VCP5.

And to Bob, the 4.0 class counts as well as the 4.1 class - it's only the 4.1 class that's mentioned as the 4.0 class retired some time ago and was removed from the VCP5 page when it was retired.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I guess I should update my knowledge (and offline repository) Smiley Wink

I was still thinking of the old/first paths.

2090207.png

André

0 Kudos
bleibold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

I was just confused as some of the prereq's mention 4.x and some specifically say 4.1, so wanted to verify.  Sounds like my  VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V4.0] class will work and I can take the VMware vSphere: What's New [V5.0] class and then be able to sit for my VCP5.

Thanks again!

Bob

0 Kudos