VMware Edu & Cert Community
helionix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Certification Questions

Where to get official information from vmware on the following questions:

Is VCP-NV is not the VCP level certification?

Is there any difference between VCP-NV obtained with VCP-NV Classroom Equivalent via submitting CCNA cert to vmware and normal VCP-NV passed with VCP-NV authorized courses?

Does VCP-NV Certification gained with VCP-NV Classroom Equivalent give me the right to pass VCP-DCV exam and obtain VCP-DCV certification?

Does VCP-DCV certification attained that way counts as correct prerequisite for VCAP-DCA?

On the Vmware site noted that ANY VCP level certification counts as prerequisite to VCAP-DCA without any exclusions. Is that statement incorrect?

Also on the Vmware site and on the VCP-DCV blueprint stated that ANY valid VCP level certification gives right to pass and obtain VCP-DCV certification. Is that incorrect?

And in the VCAP-DCA blueprint stated that holding VCP5-DCV enough to take VCAP-DCA exam and obtain certification status. Is there stated incorrect information?

Certification support did not answered this question. So I'm looking for someone who can.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have edited my previous answers based on what I have learned.

Because you have gained VCP-NV via CCNA, you have not met the hands-on training requirement that other VMware certifications have. To achieve a certification in the DCV stream such as VCP-DCV or VCAP-DCA you will need to meet the hands-on training requirement for that particular certification.

I believe this "anomaly" should be mentioned in the relevant web pages and blueprints, to avoid any confusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Note: All of my responses below are to the best of my knowledge - while I work for VMware I am not part of the Certification team.

What are your plans, or what is the problem you are having?

From your questions it seems to me that you are a CCNA and you would like to gain VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, and VCAP-DCA, right?

Is VCP-NV is not the VCP level certification?

There are 4 "VCP level" certifications: DCV, DT, Cloud, and NV.

Is there any difference between VCP-NV obtained with VCP-NV Classroom Equivalent via submitting CCNA cert to vmware and normal VCP-NV passed with VCP-NV authorized courses?

EDIT: Not to the VCP-NV itself, but you will still need to meet at least one hands-on training requirement for other certifications such as VCP-DCV and VCAP-DCA.

Does VCP-NV Certification gained with VCP-NV Classroom Equivalent give me the right to pass VCP-DCV exam and obtain VCP-DCV certification?

EDIT: You will still need to meet at least one hands-on training requirement for other certifications such as VCP-DCV.

Does VCP-DCV certification attained that way counts as correct prerequisite for VCAP-DCA?

EDIT: As above, you need training to become VCP-DCV certified, in order to meet the requirements for VCAP-DCA.

On the Vmware site noted that ANY VCP level certification counts as prerequisite to VCAP-DCA without any exclusions. Is that statement incorrect?

The VCAP5-DCA page says "any current VCP certification" counts as the required pre-requisite. EDIT: That is correct, but your VCP-NV gained via CCNA is different.

Also on the Vmware site and on the VCP-DCV blueprint stated that ANY valid VCP level certification gives right to pass and obtain VCP-DCV certification. Is that incorrect?

The blueprint for the VCP550 exam says "any valid VCP level certification", the same as the VCP5-DCV page. EDIT: As above, your VCP-NV gained via CCNA is different.

And in the VCAP-DCA blueprint stated that holding VCP5-DCV enough to take VCAP-DCA exam and obtain certification status. Is there stated incorrect information?

EDIT: As above, you need training to become VCP-DCV certified, in order to meet the requirements for VCAP-DCA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
helionix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good day, Scott. Thanks a lot for your reply.

I passed CCNA and VCP-NV certifications and obtained a VCP-NV certificate.

And now I'd like to pass VCAP-DCA. If I need to pass VCP-DCV for that - it's ok, but support guys say that I must attain authorized courses for VCAP, and only after that I can pass VCAP.

I have sent my questions several times, but got replies that VCP-NV with classroom equivalent does not serve as a prerequisite for VCAP and that's all.

Nothing about VCP-DCV or something else.

After three weeks of email communication I'm looking for someone who can help to solve this case, or at least give some directions.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for explaining. I've asked your question to some people I know internally.

0 Kudos
helionix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm extremely grateful for your help. Looking forward for results of your request.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have edited my previous answers based on what I have learned.

Because you have gained VCP-NV via CCNA, you have not met the hands-on training requirement that other VMware certifications have. To achieve a certification in the DCV stream such as VCP-DCV or VCAP-DCA you will need to meet the hands-on training requirement for that particular certification.

I believe this "anomaly" should be mentioned in the relevant web pages and blueprints, to avoid any confusion.

0 Kudos
helionix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great thanks for your reply. Now everything is clear.

Frankly speaking I quickly passed CCNA and VCP-NV only to get access to VCAP without paying for useless and very expensive course.

I think it's weird that even if I pass VCIX-NV which is totally lab-based I still do not meet that requirements. I see no point in further certification on vmware way. Because even if you obtain an authorized course from vmware and pass the exam you will not get the certified status. Just because information on website or in the blueprint is incorrect. The whole situation reminds of the Russian roulette game. I suppose that enterprise level certification must not be organized that way.

And more, the support team works awfully. They have sent me one and the same paragraph without any further explanation though I asked for it in several tickets in different ways (in case if they didn't understand me).

Again, Scott, thanks a lot. You help me to solve the problem which I couldn't solve with support team for weeks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would not describe the courses as "useless" - I worked as a VCI for 6 years and every single student that came to my courses got value from the learning experience.

You only need to take 1 recognised course in order to "open the door" to all VMware certifications - for example if you took a vSphere class and passed the exam for VCP5-DCV you would then be able to navigate your way anywhere in the certification roadmap, right up to VCDX level across any of the 4 disciplines.

You took advantage of a promotion where CCNAs could achieve VCP-NV without taking any VMware courses, anyone else who wants VCP-NV must take a course or must have taken a course in the past, so you have still "gained" compared to most people.

Good luck for the future, whichever path you decide to take 🙂

0 Kudos