VMware Edu & Cert Community
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can someone answer this sample test question?

Some of these answer options don't even make sense to me in the context of the question

Q:

A company has been utilizing templates in its environment. It is running a 10-node ESXi 5.x Cluster and DRS has not been configured. Several virtual machines have been deployed from this template and successfully powered on, but a newly deployed virtual machine will not power on. There appears to be adequate CPU and Memory resources available on the host. (Does his mean adequate for ONE host out of the ten or the entire cluster?)

Which three things can be done to allow more virtual machines to be deployed into the cluster from this template? (Choose three.)

A:

Deploy the virtual machine to a different host using the same datastore

Enable DRS on the cluster to balance the virtual load out across hosts

Increase the virtual machine memory reservation

Move the swap file to a different location

Select a different datastore for the virtual machine

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"There appears to be adequate CPU and Memory resources available on the host." < so perhaps that's not the cause of the problem, and the issue relates to other things that happen when you power on a VM.

One of those things is the creation of a VM swap file, the size of the file is:

VM configured memory - VM memory reservation

A VM can only be powered on if there is sufficient space for the swap file to be created in the datastore that the file is configured to be located in.

Do you see the logic above? Can you see the 3 answers to the question now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First thanks Scott for answering these questions.  It is obvious my thought process is damaged, because I am having a hard time how you

"There appears to be adequate CPU and Memory resources available on the host." < so perhaps that's not the cause of the problem, and the issue relates to other things that happen when you power on a VM.

In my brain they fact they say "appears to be" means a gotcha.  If it was a for sure thing they would word it as "There ARE adequate..."  Obviously this is not the case here.

So you focus on the vm not starting which makes sense.  Swap file issues means there is a storage problem or issue with the swap file locations specified at the Cluster, Host or VM level.

On this assumption I guess the answers would be 1, 4, 5 numbering from top the bottom

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Break it down this way...

Problem: VM won't power on

Ruled out: CPU and memory resources on the host (no DRS in play)

Possible cause: Free space on datastore to create swap file

Avoid answers that do not change the target datastore, do not create any free space in the datastore, or do not reduce the size of the swap file.

In other words - the answers are 3, 4, and 5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

scott28tt wrote:

Break it down this way...

Problem: VM won't power on

Ruled out: CPU and memory resources on the host (no DRS in play)

Possible cause: Free space on datastore to create swap file

Avoid answers that do not change the target datastore, do not create any free space in the datastore, or do not reduce the size of the swap file.

In other words - the answers are 3, 4, and 5.

Gotcha...Appreciate the advice on logic approaching the questions.  Still intimidating but hopefully I can readjust in time.

0 Kudos