VMware Edu & Cert Community
johnsmithman3
Contributor
Contributor

Are the questions in the study guides similar to the test?

Are the questions and practice exams that come with the Sybex and official VMware study guide a good way to judge your readiness? They actually seem very easy and I have been reading the test is hard. So maybe I am just ready or I should not use the practice tests to judge.

I just finished the Sybex book and getting ready to start the official cert guide by Bill Ferguson. I should be ready in the next week or so to schedule.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The books you mentioned are certainly a great way to prepare yourself for the test and the questions will help to get an impression on how the real test will look like, but expect more or less difficult questions in the exam. Scott Vessey maintains a blog (Studying for the VCP5 exam) which lists the requirements and has hints about what to look at. Make sure you do have a hands-on lab - if possible - to do the practices and ensure you don't just follow the labs step-by-step, but also "look around".

Btw. did you already attend the required training for the VCP-DV certification?

André

Message was edited by: a.p. - fixed typo

0 Kudos
johnsmithman3
Contributor
Contributor

Yes,I have already taken the required class my work paid for. Not only do I run a large vSphere enrivonment at my work with over 600 VM's and a large View infrastructure, I also have my home lab which consists of 2X ESXi hosts and a dedicated FreeNAS iSCSI datastore.

I am just nervous about sitting this test since I have never failed an exam before and I keep reading a lot of failure reports for this one. There is a lot of stuff for this test that even somebody like me that runs a large vSphere environment with a lot of experience has to study hard for like the maximums and different vSphere editions. All of the labs in the Sybex book I have done a million times at work.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You don't need to be able to recite maximums, but knowledge of them helps.

Expect questions from all corners of the exam blueprint, other useful info on my blog - link in a post above...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos