VMware Edu & Cert Community
SachinDarekar
Contributor
Contributor

Any virtualisation experience is needed for VCP certification???

Dear all,

I'm working in IT sector from last 5 years as a Desktop Support Engineer. I'm not having any experience on virtualisation. Should I go for the VCP 5.0 certification? Is specific experince needed in virtualisation/ vmware products for doing this certification?

Your feedback will be really appreiciated....

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Honestly, yes.

As well as knowledge of vSphere itself, you would also benefit from knowledge and experience in server operating systems and applications, networking (eg. switches, routing), shared storage (eg. SAN/NAS).

I would suggest using VMware Player or Workstation to get started with virtualisation, then when you're ready to start using vSphere there's a ton of resources here: Download VMware vSphere with Operations Management Evaluation - Free Managed Virtualization for 60 D...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
SachinDarekar
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your suggestion...But i would like to add one more point..I've already tried on VMware Workstation and i'm well versed with it now. And YES I do have the experience on the server operating systems and basic networking tools for around last 2 years.The thing i want to know is, how much in depth knowldge is required to atleast understand and pass the VCP?

I'm going to do this certification on my own not company sponsered, so asking these kind of questions. Hope I'll get correct direction towards this certification.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"how much" is a difficult question to answer when it relates to knowledge or experience...

Have a look through the VCP5-DCV exam blueprint - it tells you what the exam objectives are so you can understand what you're going to need to know how to do:

(VCP5-DCV) VCP-Datacenter Virtualization

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
SachinDarekar
Contributor
Contributor

Ys.. i'll do it scott....thank you very much your advice..I'll go for training schedule next month. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Workstation itself is not enough. You need to use and know vSphere suite.

And have practice also with storage and networking concepts.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
SachinDarekar
Contributor
Contributor

I've gone through the blueprint and its very helpful.I'll practise on vSphere Suite.I wish it will grately boost my carrer path in IT Industry.

0 Kudos