VMware Edu & Cert Community
geekinput
Contributor
Contributor

2V0--620 & 2V0-21.19 Did I miss my chance?

I took VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6] training (New Horizon) and 2V0--620 a couple of years ago and never got to take 2V0-621D.

Does having the training on V6 and the foundation exam for V6 completed allows me to take 2V0-21.19 or do I have to take a complete training on 6.5 or 6.7? I still have the VCP5-DCV certification.

I have a voucher available with New Horizon from my previous training and I wanted to schedule 2V0-621D but it was no longer available. They said the one available is 2V0-21.19.

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VCPs for vSphere 6.0 and 6.5 retired at the end of August.

Take a look at this page: VMware Certified Professional - Data Center Virtualization 2019 (VCP-DCV 2019)

As you're not currently a VCP, you'll need to take a vSphere 6.7 class.

EDIT: As you're already a VCP5-DCV, you just need to pass 1 exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ricmarques
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi geekinput and scott28tt​,

(Disclaimer: I do NOT work at/for VMware, but I am certified as a VCP-DCV since VCP4-DCV and I'm currently a VCP6.5-DCV)

I've noticed that "geekinput" has written the following in his message: "I still have the VCP5-DCV certification."

Under those circumstances, I think that he may follow the "Certification Path" for the "if you hold a VCP5 or VCP6-DCV" case that is listed at the "VMware Certified Professional - Data Center Virtualization 2019 (VCP-DCV 2019)​" web page, namely the following one, that only requires that he passes one Exam (step "3. Pass the Professional Data Center Virtualization Exam") that, according to the same web page, can be one of the following two exams:

115 MINUTES 70 QUESTIONS $250
75 MINUTES 40 QUESTIONS $250

The "VMware Recertification Rollback 2019 Policy FAQ" - https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/certification/vmware-recertificati...  - also includes the following two Questions and Answers (among others) that I believe are relevant in this case:

" (...) Q. If my VCP certification has expired, does this mean that it is active again?

A. In some cases, yes. If you hold one of the certifications shown below and it shows expired, it will change to being active again in April 2019. If your certification changes to being active, you can complete the upgrade path to earn the latest version. You do not need to complete the Expired path to recertify.

Data Center Virtualization: VCP5-DCV or VCP6-DCV
Network Virtualization: VCP-NV or VCP6-NV
Cloud Management & Automation: VCP-Cloud, VCP6-CMA or VCM7-CMA
Desktop & Mobility: VCP6-DTM or VCP7-DTM

(...)

Q. I am an expired VCP5-DCV. If my certification is now active again, can I use an upgrade path to certify on VCP-DCV 2019?
A. Yes! You can now earn the VCP-DCV 2019 by passing one of the current exams. You will not be required to take additional training or pass the Foundations exam.

(...) "

I hope this helps Smiley Happy

Ricardo Dias Marques - http://twitter.com/ricmarques
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Apologies - I missed the rather important detail about already holding the VCP5-DCV.

In which case - the training is "recommended" rather than "required", and you just need to pass 1 exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
FB_stefan
Contributor
Contributor

I am in a somewhat similar position. I have been training the last 3 months, quite intensively for the VCP 6.5 DCV exam.
Yesterday wanted to book the exam, only to discover it is no longer there.

I am afraid i will have to spend another 3 months training now, because i feel like i have to start almost from scratch.

I noticed training for the 2119 exam is different than training for the 6.5 exam.

0 Kudos