VMware Edu & Cert Community
germeister10
Contributor
Contributor

vcap 6 courses

Hi there ,

I have a current VCP5 DCV certification , I am looking to do a VCAP 6 course/ or get to the next level in data center virtualization  as I think VCAP5 will be expired ,as I would like to do the advanced course and exam

do I have to do a VCP 6 DCV first  ,? I am wondering what the next best step is / best option next to do is

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lilesj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Generally stated, in order to earn a VCAP6 certification you need either a current VCP6 or a VCP5+VCAP5. So in your case, your options are to earn a VCP6-DCV (via the Delta Exam‌) and then take the VCAP6 Deploy or Design exam when they are GA. Or you can earn a VCAP5-DCA/D now before they are retired (note, there's no known retirement date at this point so you have time to prepare), and then take the VCAP6 exam later.

Whichever exam route you choose, if you're interested in more advanced vSphere 6 training, we recommend these two depending on where you main interests/job role lie:

vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6]

vSphere: Design & Deploy Fast Track [V6]

~~~ Follow me at www.twitter.com/JillLiles1
0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert

You'll need to upgrade your VCP DCV to 6 as that is a requirement before taking any of VCAP6 exams.

Then it pretty much depends on:

- your practical experience in vSphere Config / Implement / Troubleshoot / Design areas

- willingness and motivation to learn

- budget available

- time available

Any person can learn anything via self-study, given enough time and motivation is available. However if you feel you would like to take a more or less "guided shortcut" and don't have a lot of technical experience (but do have some training budget available), I would probably recommend both - "vSphere Optimize and Scale" + "vSphere Troubleshooting Workshop". Haven't taken the VCAP6-Deploy exam myself yet but for V5 these were of considerable help.

Then for whatever VCAP direction (Design and / or Deploy) the "vSphere Design and Deploy Fast Track" class is definitely recommended. It includes most of the content areas we had in vSphere 5 Design Workshop (that one was recommended for the Design exam) + has a number of really cool techy labs, that might also be worth going through for the Deploy part.

These are just recommendations if you are looking for an Instructor Led training class. What you get from the course pretty much depends on your participation. Anyway, even if you put all 100% of your energy in soaking up material throughout the training class, it most likely will not give you everything to pass the exam. I can't be absolutely sure on this as I have not taken any V6 VCAP exams yet, however this was the case with all previous VMware certifications I have went through therefore I believe that you still will need lots and lots and lots of practice. With VCAPs, right after you click the [Begin Exam] button - practical experience is your very best friend and clock is your worst enemy Smiley Happy

And as with any exam - check the objectives in exam blueprint!

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos