VMware Edu & Cert Community
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [v5.5] Course Worth Doing Or Not Advice

Hi All

Need some advise, since i am preparing to take the VCAP DCA 5.5 exam in April.

Will doing the VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [v5.5] training course help or would using the official DCA study guide book suffice?

Just would like peoples opinons, before i decided to spend money on the course.

Thank you all very much.

Jit

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asurania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Personally I Feel if you did the below you will come out ahead then taking the course (unless you missing the VCP and the course requirement)

1.  Watch the Pluralsight VCP and VCAP video

2.  Buy the VCAP-5 DCA study premium ebook study guide on VMware press website - practice the exams includes in the book

3. Go over the unofficial study guide and the unofficial CLI study guide

4. Have a Home lab and practice and practice and make sure you go over everything in the blueprint (MOST Important thing).

Take advantage of autolab

5. If you really need to do take the course....you can do the Lab connect version of the course  which is $300 to $500.

If course if the company is paying for the course, and it is not coming out of your pocket then of course take the course.  But your hard earned income is better spend in

buying yourself lab gear, VMUG subscription, and VMware books.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Put the course outline and exam objectives side by side and you'll see there is a lot of exam topic coverage in the class.

VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.5]

http://mylearn.vmware.com/lcms/web/portals/certification/VCAP_Blueprints/VCAP5-DCA-VDCA550-Exam-Blue...

You'll get hands-on with all of those topics, and a good understanding.

Another option is video-based training, Pluralsight have 5.0 versions of the topics: Pluralsight

Whatever training you use, you will need a lab and plenty of practice!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you Scott

I failed the exam once, and i wanted to do the course to ensure i have prepared myself fully to meet the exam objectives and requirements.

Going to do the course, may help boost my confidence for the exam.

Thanks

Jit

0 Kudos
VMSavvy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I didn't get a chance to sit in Optimize and Scale class but I heard this class is a great resource..

Pluralsight videos by Jason Nash are also good it seems, I watched a couple of demos..

What I relied purely on...... my experience, numerous online resources from experts, VCAP-DCA Official Cert Guide from Vmware Press and a practice lab.. I'm DCA already.. Smiley Happy

Good Luck,

VMSavvy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ikiris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I Took the course and the test and there is definitely overlap but as others have mentioned it doesn't cover all of the blueprint. It was helpful to have gone through the course to review some of the more difficult concepts with the labs, but if you really review each step of the objectives and lab it up you probably dobt need the class.

-Chris- http://www.twitter.com/ikiris http://blog.chrischua.net
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Chris

Thank you for the feedback, i was planning to do the course as we dont have ESXi 5.5 in our environment.

Plus i failed the exam once, so wanted to ensure im well prepared this time round for the exam.

As you pointed out, it will cover some of the more difficult topics, which i have not had a chance to play around with.

Im going through the blueprint, reading the dca study guide book and watchins jasons plurasight training videos.

Hopefully, by combing this with the class and lab time, will help me pass.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
renright
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I found the course to be very helpful.  I, like many others, failed it the first time.  I took the vSphere 5.1 Optimize and Scale and the vSphere 5.1 Troubleshooting classes. Simply taking the classes does not guarantee you pass.  I built a sandbox in VMware Workstation and key-stroked the labs plus everything else I could find in the blueprint until I felt I comfortable doing it.  Without a lot of hands on I think this test is impossible to pass.

0 Kudos
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a lab at home, which i am using to practice on.

Doing the course, will act as a confidence booster for me.

Will also give me a chance, to do some labs which i may not be able to do at home.

Glad to hear, most people found the course helpful.

Got the course booked in April, 2 weeks before my exam date.

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

did you guys have any discount on this course.

when i check the price it shows me more than 4K.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMware list their promotions here: VMware Training & Certification Promotions (Global)

The course may also be sold/offered by a VATC training partner such as Global Knowledge or HP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
asurania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Personally I Feel if you did the below you will come out ahead then taking the course (unless you missing the VCP and the course requirement)

1.  Watch the Pluralsight VCP and VCAP video

2.  Buy the VCAP-5 DCA study premium ebook study guide on VMware press website - practice the exams includes in the book

3. Go over the unofficial study guide and the unofficial CLI study guide

4. Have a Home lab and practice and practice and make sure you go over everything in the blueprint (MOST Important thing).

Take advantage of autolab

5. If you really need to do take the course....you can do the Lab connect version of the course  which is $300 to $500.

If course if the company is paying for the course, and it is not coming out of your pocket then of course take the course.  But your hard earned income is better spend in

buying yourself lab gear, VMUG subscription, and VMware books.

0 Kudos
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ansurania

What is the lab connect version of the course?

im going to be doing the training in India.

therefore it's costing me much less than if I did the course

in the UK or USA.

I am just trying to prepare myself in every way

so that I can finally crack the dca exam.

thanks for all your advice.

0 Kudos
asurania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just look at VMware Education website for Lab Connect courses.

The course VMware Vsphere optimize and scale course does NOT cover the entire blueprint and is NOT sufficient enough to pass the course.

You NEED a home lab, and go over the blueprint line by line to pass the exam

0 Kudos
asurania
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Let me just add

The course is good to get the basics and the main important concepts.   But again does not cover the entire blueprint

0 Kudos
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I Have a lab and I'm also going through the book

plus the study guide from Paul Grevink.

watched Jason Nash videos plus the blueprint

course was just top off all these study methods.

0 Kudos