VMware Edu & Cert Community
cluey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCAP5-DCA

I've finally got round to booking my VCAP5-DCA exam and so now in the process of getting my lab setup. I've got tonnes of good resources lined up, study materials, lab guides etc but one fundamental bit missing, vCenter 5. I've tried downloading from VMWare download site but get a message that I can't download this verison. The only version available is 5.5 on an evaluation.

As the exam is based on vSphere 5.0 how do I study for it without a copy of vCenter 5.0??? I probably have got an ISO knocking about somewhere on a random USB disk or DVD but I've got so many of these it's just easier to download. Does anyone know how I can get round the (rather mean) restriction on VMWare's eval download page (or am I just being dumb by not seeing where I can get it from)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Andy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mister_potato_h
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andy

This maybe too obvious but I guess you tried the Select Version drop down to access older versions??

pastedImage_0.png

Cheers

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

Mr Potato Head,

That only works if your VMware login is associated with a vSphere v5 license key.

Andy,

I would download 5.1 if you can or 5.5 and use the C# client instead of the WebClient and stick with topics in the DCA blueprint for study.

Also, use the installed version of vCenter and don't forget PowerCLI and vMA.

cluey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks all, as Joshua said the drop down selection only works if you've got a license associated to your account (unfortunately I don't at hand).

I do have vCenter 5.1 available in my historic download section, so will probably use that (maybe a lesson there then. As soon as a new version comes out download it so it's available forever in your history).

I've used both 5.0 & 5.1 enough to know where the differences are so I don't think it will be too much of a hassle. Just thought it would be easier to stick with the same version that the exam is based on (wouldn't have to worry about crazy SSO stuff with 5.0 either Smiley Wink ).

I suppose in the grand scheme of things it's not going to be that much of a problem. If you're a bobby dazzler with 5.1 it's a fair bet that you'll know you're stuff on 5.0 too..

Thanks again...

0 Kudos